View Single Post

Thread: Gnorman's Complete E6 Compendium

1. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Gnorman's Complete E6 Compendium

Checking through the brawler changes, it occurs to me that you indicated that the Brawler wasn't going to be a "spiritual mystic" type versus "punch things until they stop moving" class, right? If so, perhaps you should consider moving the "spiritual" things like Mystic Resonance and high Will saves back exclusively to the Cenobite (who would instead gain an untyped will save bonus equal to half their level).

For general balance/gameplay considerations, how would you feel about extracting the "base-class" capstone entirely, and keeping level 6 as the Archetype capstone?

Toned down versions of the capstone would potentially be spread to earlier levels (in-fill, to maintain a consistent "two new things" pattern), or moved to the Archetypes?

So the Level 6 Brawler (I use them so much because they're at the top of the list) would be archetype (greater) only.

Cenobite would get Mystic Resonance as a capstone 1/encounter.
    Bruiser would get Hammer Fist 1/encounter (they benefit from more Str the most anyway)
    Blink and you'll miss me may be modified to omit 50% concealment (20% concealment might still be okay), and put into level 4, possibly as: "once per encounter the brawler may move up to double their move speed as a move action. They are fatigued until the end of their next round".

Noble Level 6 to be editted in when I'm done.

Noble Level 6

Proficient with Simple and Martial Weapons.
    Proficient with Light and Medium armour, and Shields (Except Tower Shields).
    May take 10 on Diplomacy, Intimidate and Bluff checks (Without an "always", this is redundant).
    Always rush all Diplomacy checks.
    May basically use Intimidate as a diplomacy check except with more penalties and restrictions.
    May demoralise as a move action.
    May give up a swift, move or standard action to grant the same to an ally - one type per turn. (I would suggest that move action be the level 2 version, rather than the swift, and that this be restricted to Half Class Level + Charisma times per day)
    "Gold Standard"
    May spend full-round actions to give all his buddies within 30' 5 Temporary HP and 10' move speed. Presumably whilst giving out swift actions and 5' stepping.

+4 Attack
    +5/+5/+2 Saves (I would suggest, thematically, it might be more appropriate to be Ref/Wil instead. Nobles are rarely reknowned for their robust health.)
    9-40 + Con HP
    6 + Int Maxed skills.

Once per encounter:

As a move action, all allies within 30' of the noble double their base speed for a round and may move immediately.
    As a full-round action, one ally within 30' immediately takes a full round's worth of actions.
    As an immediate action, all allies within 30' may to make a single melee or ranged attack as an immediate action.

The first issue here, is that Diplomacy is insanely overpowered, and has always been insanely overpowered. By RAW, there's no real need for any combat skills, because you will never fail a roll.

5 Sense Motive, 5 Knowledge (N & R),5 Bluff, 9 Diplomacy and Skill Focus Diplomacy.

+19 before modifiers. You can grab a +2 from a Masterwork Tool (A masterwork purple hat with a long feather), and with a 20 Charisma (achievable by any non-dwarf from the E6C races) you have a +26.

Taking 10 as a rushed action at no penalty means that you can turn any Hostile enemy into a Friend automagically with a 1 level dip in Noble.

Intimidate without the negative modifiers afterwards is pretty much just as bad - It's a lot easier to beat an intimidate check overall; Their level + wis + bonus to fear saves (only their bonus against will saves) + D20 is almost invariably going to be lower than a DC 35, so intimidate away if you have the time and for some reason don't care to full round Diplomacy them.

The move action demoralise however, is fairly mediocre; the Noble must threaten them in melee to intimidate for a Shaken state for 1 round. A possible alternative to this one would be to make it possible within 30'.

Impel: As stated, should probably have a limit, it's much better than any Inspire X ability (The party mage may now basically has a quickened any spell ever from that extra standard action. Ray of Stupidity twice in a single round? You've just dropped half the Monster Manual.)

Gold Standard: Hirelings are a service. 50 GP per day hires me an infinite number of what level Hirelings again? Because they're all armed with Heavy Crossbows, Spears, and studded leather armour.

Casting Spells is a service, not a magic item. Any level 1 spell is at my disposal whenever there's someone there to cast it. I shall omit to use my identify items with Appraise, since I can just have someone cast identify for me.

Whilst my ten million hirelings are ravaging the countryside and earning me a kingdom to rule, I, and my twenty-three million guard dogs (and fifty million support staff to keep everyone fed and happy), shall be at home drinking my free 50 GP bottles of wine.

While I'm at it, I'll have ten million of my support staff using their free masterwork tools to make small toys to sell to children.

Discount: Potent but okay.
    Free stuff: Once per day with a successful Diplomacy check by taking an hour to find the free thing. And yeah, probably limited to 5 GP, not 50 GP, since 5 GP is actually 50 days wages for most unskilled workers.

5/- DR + 10' move bonus? Extreme.

A lot of potentially horrifying issues with this one, including my concern that a Noble who actually takes their own turn to do cool things is a noble that is not fulfilling their potential.

Trundling around looking for things, D20 Modern has the:
    http://www.d20resources.com/future.d...ld.officer.php

Who is basically the sort of role you're looking at here, except, like many things D20M, hilariously terrible.

It may however provide an appropriate base idea for the "noble" base class. Rather than having an entire class based around diplomancy and being insanely wealthy (insanely wealthy is not really a class feature), these could instead be an archetype - whose schtick is that they are a noble.

With this moved to archetype features, this would leave the noble ("Leader"? "Tactician"?) with a team director roll. Give them AOE full-round actions to give different advantages to their whole team, more advanced things as they improve, like Level 1: Target Ally gets Attack/Damage +1 on their turn, +1 per 2 levels (+1-+4), (Standard) Level 2: Single ally gets AC +1, +1 per 2 class levels (so +2-+4) (Standard) Level 3: Single Ally gets Temporary HP equal to the Noble's Charisma modifier. Level 4: May apply one of his directions to all allies except himself as a full round action. If he does so the bonus is halved. Level 5: May AOE direct allies as a standard action, or direct a single ally as a move action.
    Last edited by Kholai; 2012-08-10 at 11:10 AM.