Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
Actually, the fighter does a lot more damage (2d6+7 vs 1d8+4) than the cleric, it's just that the cleric's spell is ranged, so it is easier to shoot it around, rather than needing to close into melee. There also appears to be no rules for charging yet, which makes it harder to get into melee in the first place, even in relatively small areas.
On the other hand, Reaper has been proving useful even at range ever since I started using javelins (+6 to hit 1d8+5, miss 3) instead of that worthless crossbow (+4 to hit 1d8+4, miss 1), and in the last fight against three bugbears where I was actually able to enter melee the fighter killed all three of them. I do think the fighter could use a bit of a boost, but I also think that part of the problem is that the default equipment load out is just terrible. The light crossbow is a very weak weapon, and we know that the Fighter could have swapped out the light crossbow for the heavy (which outranges it, is strength based, and is generally a superior weapon for the fighter) and chainmail for the chain shirt, with literally no loss of AC.