Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
Spoiler
Show
I just... I just kind of need to vent right now. I honestly never feel like venting ever, but I really feel like venting right now, and since I can't do that with people I otherwise would right now, this thread came to mind, thus my first post here.

I've recently undertaken steps to quit my dual Philosophy/Psychology studies (as further described here). I've been busy with this all of last Sunday and Monday, before I left on Tuesday for a weeklong LARP event that was basically my only vacation for this year (during the rest of the summer holidays so far I've worked as much as I got at my job, which admittably wasn't much, relatively, as I work at the mail delivery service, which means I work 4 hours a day tops). I checked my email on a friend's laptop while there, including one I sent my landlady that I was moving out and cancelling my rent for next month (which was denied, since apparently I need to give six weeks notice instead of four) and one I sent my study advisor on things I'd need to do to quit my studies properly so that I wouldn't get into legal or financial trouble over some freaky minor detail. I called the study advisor later since she told me "I really feel like I should talk with you more about this" in the email, but I couldn't reach her and now she won't be available until Monday 10 AM. I came back today, went upstairs immediately to post stuff on Facebook groups from my university to tell other students I was moving out and if they knew anyone looking for a room (which is the only way I don't need to pay for next month). I moved on to reply to my emails when suddenly my internet got cut. I went downstairs and it turned out my mother did it, because she wanted to talk to me about my options on what to do now I'm quitting my studies, since due to a recent law in our country I'll need to pay 3000 extra per year of studies as a cussing fine for taking longer than the alotted time for that study. We argued for a short while, as I got more frustrated with her (already suffering a headache from the heat of the day), especially her tone, which was very blaming. I took something for my headache and sat down in the living room to watch a movie with my siblings, after which my mother joined us and started talking again about the subject. I had calmed down a little and her tone was different, so we talked a little more on what options I had. I finished watching the movie, went upstairs and saw that the first reply to my call for fellow students for taking over my room was one of my friends, whom I had met at the Psychology studies and with whom I had been a part of a commission or two to organize activities for the Psychology students of the university (which had included a quiz night with teachers, a karaoke night to collect money for charity and helping in organizing a football tournament for autistic kids). It was then how much it hit me that I wouldn't just be leaving behind my Philosophy studies (which I had come to loathe and more and more... not depressed, but... close enough, about), my Psychology studies (which I mostly liked/loved, except Statistics, which is my worst field of all), my prospects of an easy graduation without being many thousands in debt (or having worked incredibly hard in-between school hours to earn enough money to pay for school, a room and food) and my prospects of graduating before my 25th birthday, but also all the friends I've gained over the past year as I had gotten active with Psychology student commissions and connected with people I never thought I could so easily have friendly conversations with.

And thus, at this moment, I broke down and could only just bawl my cussing eyeballs out. Frankly, I have no idea how to cope with all this change, as I'll need to get a different job, choose a different studies which I have no idea yet for (or even which kind of studies, since our education system has different 'tiers' in education, past highschool it is divided in MBO, HBO and university, with the last two being most appropriate to my level, MBO would be cheaper, but then I'd also need to pay back all the money I've received for my studies from the government so far, which is A LOT), probably give up nearly all free time I've got, end up in a situation where I once again know nobody, whereas I am a person who has a lot of trouble making new friends, and all that without any clue in the world in how to deal with all that sudden change and great stress of work and everything on me.
The above is spoilered for length.

Morph, I really hope this doesn't sound like unhelpful advice, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. You are the best judge of what you want, and sometimes you have to sacrifice in the short term to get what you really want in the long run. So let me try to help by saying: Do what makes you happiest.