View Single Post

Thread: My Little Pony LI: FE

1. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LI: FE

What time is it? It's quotepost time!

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    maybe, but it's really a sort of quantum thing.
    All ponies are best pony at once, an picking a single one is just turning your eyes to a single facet of what "best pone" truly is, like picking a single virtue and declaring it Virtue itself..
    Despite the Rarity Crew gangbanger act, I like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Ah, it's time for the latest round of 'Best Pony' arguments, is it?

Spoiler
    Show

Sublime.

Why?
    Because it's a willful misuse of the word, in a way that only serves the obfuscate the truth you want to reveal.

This isn't always a bad thing.
    Of course not. A lie exists independently of it's moral value. Whether or not a given lie is a bad thing is irrelevant to the nature of lies.

An honest statement isn't necessarily a true statement.
    True. You seem to think I think that lies and truth are opposites. This is not the case. A lie is a falsehood crafted to decieve. A falsehood crafted only to explain a complex truth is not a lie, it is a model.

No, I'm not. This isn't controversy, this is philosophy.
    Philosophy is not immune to controversy. Thanqol proves this frequently.

I do beg your pardon for getting it wrong in this instance, though.

I know exactly what the word means. Perhaps you find the word "lie" to strong? Would you prefer "partial truth", "fiction", "tale", "fable", "story"?
    I dislike the word lie because the truth* you postulate is not accurately described with the word "lie". The right words to describe it are "tale" and "story".

I would love to have a long debate about the nature of truth and lies, but unfortunately I don't have the time. However, to understand my perspective, if you haven't already I suggest that you read "The Science of Discworld II: The Globe" by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart, and Jack Cohen. It contains some wonderful essays on the nature of truth, and why lieing is not a bad thing and is actually quite vital to human development. Go. Read. Contemplate. Then we can talk (assuming I have the time).
    Read it. Own it. Love it. Have some issues with the nomenclature.

*Story

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    It may be different, it may be another genre, it may not be to your tastes, but saying that it is OOC is frankly insulting to all the authors who try hard to write believable, in-character pony tales.
    I'm sorry you feel that way. I do not intend to offend.

Thank you. I often feel like a black sheep for these sorts of thoughts.
    Same. Glad to see it's not just me.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Luna with the juice box. I'm a fan of that classic image.
    /this

Well, of course. The problem is Dragon Ball Z.
    [snip]
    I agree with everything you say here. But I also don't think that magical beam wattage alone is a valid metric for power-in-general. It's a good metric for blowing-you-up-with-magical-lasers-power, but power comes in many forms that are difficult to compare to each other. A strait up fight only measures combat prowess.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Either magic is unlimited in power and scope, in which case it should be everywhere and abused like it's going out of fashion for everything possibly imaginable, up to and including the creation/destruction of solar systems, new dimensions, the complete negation of death/time/whatever, or it isn't. The lack of the former being widespread across the entire of the everything would empirically suggest the latter.
    Depends on the kind of magic. In the kind I prefer, the scope and power of magic is limited not by physical restraints, but narrative ones. Narrative Causality, conceptual proximity, that sort of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    If we're arguing that it's OOC for the show then I will agree with you, but it is not OOC for the setting. It's not OOC for ponies in general.
    Mmm. This seems to be the core of the matter, seeing as we're back to the show being or not being a representative sample of Equestria. IMO the flavour of the show is the same as the flavour of the setting, and of ponies in general. In yours, this is not the case.

It seems we understand each other, so mission accomplished!

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We interrupt your regularly scheduled pony for the Official release of Dash's stage theme from Fighting is Magic by RainbowCrash88
    Oh.

Hell.

Yeah.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-08-15 at 06:01 PM.
    Truth resists simplicity.