Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
Thus far, I think the only thing we can agree on is that the tag system as it exists on FimFiction is too broad and should probably be revised.
Probably an issue of the majority of a tags contents redefining said tag in the minds of the populace. A log of what you guys are discussing is [grim] not [dark]. That old ficlet of big Mac dying, and the apple clan honoring him buy insuring his body? That's dark. It's also loving.
Cupcakes? That's mostly grim, with a sprinkle of darkness from trying to be psychological.
Thanqol's recent story about Rarity in Spike's dream? That's dark. It's not grim at all.
Fillystata is dark in premise, grim in execution, but only slightly.

Dark is a tag which denotes revel and celebration of the less red/pink/white end of the spectrum. It is more thoughtful, brooding. Likely to take joy in sorrows. Gothic, one could say.

My Little Ponythread: The Elements of RP
Spoiler
Show

Heheheh, look at them go! I should have thought of this a long time ago.
So, what are you going to do when your ninjas figure out he isn't full of muffins after all?
Eh, I'll blame it on changelings feeding us bad intel and give them extra muffins in the break room.

Dammit, I knew we were forgetting something!
Would you relax, the elements of harmony stopped the rampaging monster before it even reached Ponyville. You should really consider reading those intel reports I keep giving you.

*Meanwhile, in the ruins of Canterlot*
OOK! *attempts to put Lucadore Mask in a submission hold*

Wonderful, instead of Silent Night deliberately inflicting atrocities upon Equestria, we’re now going to have your niece carelessly inflicting them.
Don't worry, I've already portaled over my contingency plan to deal with this.
Let me guess, your contingency plan consists of an OFC barrage, right?
Don't be absurd, the filly's half fire-elemental, the OFC wouldn't have any appreciable effect on her. No, what this situation requires is the subtle, precise touch that you can only get using an atomic supermonster.

Spoiler
Show

*sigh* I suppose I'll just have to stick with more mundane methods of making Silent Night suffer then. *opens portal above Silent Night's head, dumps swarm of carion beetles onto him*
My headcanon is now that someone have Boffenspark an outdated textbook, and what he refers to as orbital friendship cannons are just low-orbit mass weapons platforms. His study of friendship energy keeps getting rejected by the Canterlot Board of Science because, well in-depth and ground breaking, the energy he has always called friendship energy is actually something else entirely. He is miffed that nopony will let him debunk all the ol science on friendship, and doesn't realize he is actually blazing new trails in unseen areas.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
Wow, might be the first depiction I've seen of somepony more endowed than Fluttershy. AJ looks so awesome in that outfit too.
This comment makes me sad for manga.

Mostly paraphrased some of the RPing done around here, that's its more role-play than discussion. What kind of questions get asked here, little dramas that crop up. You know, the usual stuff.
She wagers I'm probably one of the oldest people on these threads based on what people "say".
Hm. You were 36 last we asked, right?
I think 28 was the average, not counting a few outliers.

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
*Wants*

Some pony t-shirts arrived in the mail for me today (along with an EQD satchelbag), yay!
Sweet.

Hmm, crap. I seem to have made a mistake with that. I apoligise!

They did revise the difficulty tables for Season 2 after all. I'm guessing we'd be playing on standard difficulty settings, so they are broadly similar in terms of DC for a given task, it just extends higher for the Legendary pony side. (There is also the option to play on "hardcore" mode which raises DC at each tier ).

Looking at some of the examples given, I think some of those could belong in the next category up or down.

I think I'd treat them as guidelines more than gospel examples.

Spoiler
Show
10. Beyond Even Legendary Ponies; Discord Only.
No Check Required; Impossible (Or 20 Only)
Complete control over the environment, global manipulation, random day/night changes

9. Even Legendary Ponies Would Have Difficulty.
Difficulty: 70
Turning Discord to stone, banishing Nightmare Moon to the moon for a thousand years

8. Probably Only Legendary Ponies Could Do This.
Difficulty: 50
Raising and lowering the sun and moon, teleporting across a continent, instantly healing a plague.

7. Normal For Legendary Ponies, Hard For Anypony Else.
Difficulty: 40
Dispelling a mass enchantment, conjuring an unbreakable ward, creating a sonic rainboom

6. Even Special Ponies Would Have Difficulty.
Difficulty: 30
Talking down a dragon, complex aerial acrobatics, casting a difficult spell, hatching a dragon egg

5. Probably Only Special Ponies Could Do This.
Difficulty: 20
Inspiring a crowd with a speech, casting a new spell, out-flying a bird, painting a good portrait.

4. Normal For Special Ponies, Hard For Everyday Ponies.
Difficulty: 15
Making a pretty dress, casting an easy spell, bucking a tree, doing a complex dance move.

3. This Is A Pretty Basic Challenge For An Everyday Pony.
Difficulty: 10
Moving a cloud, caring for a pet, baking a cake, building a barn, drawing a horse-drawn
carriage

2. This Might Challenge A Young Foal, But Nopony Else.
Difficulty: 5 (Or No Check Required; Too Easy)
Painting a wall, gathering flowers, making a sandwich, walking a pet, ironing clothes correctly

1. Anypony, Anywhere, Could Do This With Ease.
No Check Required; Too Easy
Walking, eating, looking at something, getting a book from a bookshelf, putting on clothes.
Hm. I think I preferred the other system. Although this one looks like an easy eyeball chart for the same formula, taking into account the new friendship mechanic.

One of the mechanisms, I think special purpose, let's you add 1/2 your roll to itself, right? So if Starry rolls an 18, it counts as a 27 on the die + modifiers yes?

Mathematically, this may be a pretty swingy system. I'll have to look.

I am now simultaneously hoping that DD is interested, and trying to figure out the potential impacts of a mecha pony on the game
Off the top of my head and without consideration for balance at all, I would say he can purchase unicorn and Pegasus specific "parts" at increased cost, and can use downtown to burn experience to switch out those parts. If he has pegasus wings, and he spends X experience to switch over to his telekinesomatic ray, the ray stays until the next time he switches it out.

Or I would encourage him to just be a Pegasus. He's now got lighter alloys and a streamlined frame. Either changling or Pegasus base... Oh changeling is AoH. Hmm.