Reynald
Spoiler
Show
Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post

Malenth rose with his contact, suprised by the sudden decision. He seemed to have decided that he would recieve a yes before the fact. "I can understand the need for secrecy where sensitive matters are concerned, but in a situation like this one, the more I know about this warlord the better my ability to plan. I doubt I'd be much good to you as simple hired muscle."

Fastening his cloak and putting his hat back on, Malenth followed Reynald into the street. "With your hurry, I assume time is of the essence. Lead on then, Mr Lheureux."

Their progress is fast. After all, there is little stopping the two, and Reynald is in somewhat of a hurry. As the pair speed through the Aldhaven streets, the old merchant's calm exterior begins to crack. Sweat beads down his forehead and around his lips, the product of both effort and concern. Truly, he had no idea what awaited him at Morganstern Hall. From what he had seen with the Polyae girl, things had changed in his absence. There was a sort of... sanctity before. A sense of decorum, even amongst the criminals and the schemers. He couldn't feel that, not anymore. Making sure that Malenth continued to follow, Reynald approached the doors of the Hall. He greets the doorman, who stands with his mouth open and eyes wide. Clearly, he was not expecting Reynald.
So, they have yet to tell any of the others of my return into the Aldhaven world. This should be interesting. He knows the way by heart: after all, he had been one of the planners of this very building. There was not a secret passage or ancient nook that Reynald did not know. Into the entrance hall, through the first corridor on the left and up a flight of stairs. Of course, knowing the way and walking the way differ greatly. He had often dreamed of returning home triumphant, his enemies vanquished at his feet. A hero. It wasn't supposed to be this way. As they walk, Reynald cannot help but feel countless gazes on him. Couriers stop in their tracks and clerks drop their utensils. His step quickens: there was only so much of the staring that he could take. He guides the fire mage through the entrance hall, the corridor and up the stairs. At the top of the staircase, Reynald stops. Facing the pair is a set of rather ornate double doors. The wood is beech, inlaid in silver, and the Society crest is engraved into the metal. On either side of the portal is a statue, encased in armor. Beyond was the Hall of Transcription, the chamber at the heart of Morganstern Hall. It is here that new initiates are brought to bind themselves to the Society, under the penalty of law and order. Mr. D'Everet's time was fast approaching.
"Are you ready?"