Malenth
Spoiler
Show
Quote Originally Posted by TheAntiplanar View Post
"Good. Prepare yourself." The banker moves the mage aside, taking a place directly opposite the doors, in the center of the antechamber. He closes his eyes, and speaks two simple words.
"Solium lovis." In the split silence that follows, Reynald's eyes snap open, a brilliant blue. It is broken by the grinding of stone on steel, as the two golems awaken. They take hold of the doors, pushing them open wide and opening the passage into the chamber beyond. The space is quite sizable for a building such as the Morganstern Hall, an oval construction that spans several stories below them and into darkness above. Six immense pillars span the gap between sky and earth. Ahead, a staircase descends downward. The entire chamber gleams as if buffed to perfection. However, Reynald can almost feel the age in the place, despite the date of construction being only a decade before. He takes a deep breath, inhaling the dust accrued by years of invention.
"Welcome to the Hall of Transcription. You are one of hundreds of initiates to walk these steps. Follow me please, Mr. D'Everet. Just a little bit farther now." He begins to walk downwards, towards what looks like a slab made of light in the center of the chamber. As they get closer, the slab begins to glow with a golden hue, burnished motes swirling around the pair. Halfway there, Reynald stops. He holds out his arm, gesturing forward towards the center.
"I can go no further. Approach the basin, speak your full name, and touch the altar. Then, you have to repeat these words: After fortune, wealth. After plenty, harvest. After death, opportunity. This creed is at the heart of the Morganstern Society, and the altar will tell if you are worthy of embodying it. This is a ritual that is at least as old as the Society, so it goes without saying that you will show respect. I will be waiting at the entrance." His part done for now, Reynald begins to walk back up the stairs, leaving Malenth alone.

Malenth smiles to himself, making sure to take in the whole room. After using his magic to search the room for auras, he closed his eyes in though.

OOC:I'm assuming there is some kind of magic here, though it is to complex to figure out anything beyond the basics

This place reeks of magic. Most likely a method of dealing with the unworthy or unloyal. What fate awaits those who fail? Will the ritual bind me to the society? What kind of tricks could they have placed in this ritual?

Malenth opened his eyes, and they burned with determination. All worries pushed aside, he strode forward with certainty.

Reaching the basin, he spoke with all the conviction he could muster. "I am Malenth D'Everet, Head of the noble D'Everet house and the man who will restore it to greatness!"

Slamming his hand down on the Altar, Malenth D'Everet stared straight ahead and continued. "After fortune, Wealth! After plenty, Harvest! After death, Opportunity!"

The oath complete, Malenth stood proudly in silence. And after hardship, strength.