1. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: D&D 5th Editon Discussion: 6th thread and counting

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMac307 View Post
    Could anyone explain to me how Rapid Shot, the Level 1 Feat from the Archer Specialty, and Two-Weapon Fighting, the Level 1 Feat from the Dual Wielder Specialty, are not complete wastes of a feat?

Why would I ever want to make two attacks in one round, where allthe damage of each attack is halved (which I assume includes damage from ability bonuses)?

That is just silly.

*cut for length and math*

I guess if you are fighting a bunch of kobolds or something that you know have only 4 hit points, then Rapid Shot / Two-Weapon Fighting could be quite useful, since it will greatly increase the rate at which you kill these one hit wonders. Otherwise, if you are fighting anything with any decent amount of hit points, these two feats just make it much, much likelier that you will continuously inflict mediocre amounts of damage against them each round, but won't really help you kill them all that quicker. (In the example above, incorporating critical hits on natural 20s and dealing straight 1d8 damage with no bonuses, a monster with 25 hit points and AC 18 would take an average of 10.3 rounds to kill without Rapid Shot / Two-Weapon Fighting and 9.4 rounds to kill using Rapid Shot / Two-Weapon Fighting. Not that impressive).
    I believe the common consensus is that they help crowd control, and any rider effects you may have on your attacks(which I'm sure will be released at some point). I agree with you though, and I've been tentatively running it as regular damage on the first hit and half damage on the second. Feats should be a solid benefit, not just a different way of doing the same thing.
    Last edited by Loki_42; 2012-08-22 at 04:20 PM.