Quote Originally Posted by Toper View Post
Actually, I would argue that this is exactly wrong. The primary plot and theme of the comic absolutely revolves around the feelings and motivations of villains. Not all of them, of course; the motives of Leeky Windstaff and random ogres and so forth are silly and sketchy, and Z's might be too. But we don't know yet!
Hmmm, well, the main villain is basically the most cliché BBEG you can imagine, and his "motivation" (ruling the world) is pretty much "I exist so the PCs and I can have a big Hollywood-style final tussle". He even said once that he gotta save the A-material for the PCs (when he Ghostforms through the Azurite watch tower). So he's there as the story's stereotypical BBEG. Period.

The OotSverse is first and foremost a campaign world for our six PCs. Sure, Rich's an awesome story-teller, and some characters are extremely well developed, but it remains that, in many cases, a character being there for no other reason than the fact the campaign/story calls for them to be there -- mimicking the typical roleplaying story -- is something perfectly normal in the OotS world.