Dirt Road

Jeanne stormed along the road, fuming, the crumpled letter in her hands. I won't go back there. I can't! I won't!

Not the most unusual sentiment for a rebellious daughter to have to a letter from home. In this case, from her mother.

My dear Jeanne-Antoinette,

Gah! STOP CALLING ME THAT!

blah blah family gossip boring who is shagging who

Don't care.

I was asked to write and check up on you. We thought you'd have gotten pregnant by now and returned. What are you doing? You can't possibly be infertile, can you? If you are, then you'll need to come back to your old job.

No! No! NO!

blah blah story of how Zabrigael met, seduced, and ate Jeanne's father that she's heard a hundred times before

NO IT DOES NOT MAKE ME WANT TO HAVE BABIES!!!!!

It was all pretty clear. If she didn't start seducing mortals and making little succubus babies soon, she'd be recalled to Hell, where she'd be back on duty seducing and tormenting damned souls. Ugh.

"Why did I have to be a First Circle devil?" Jeanne groans. Of course she knew the answer. Because her mother was a succubus, and seduced a mortal to make another succubus. "Any other Circle would be better." She flops down on the grass and lay back, staring at the clouds.