1. - Top - End - #342
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5th Editon Discussion: 6th thread and counting

What about this:

Two-Weapon Fighting
    Whenever you attack, if you have a finesse weapon in your off-hand, you may make a off-hand attack using that weapon against any target within reach, in addition to your normal attack. Do not apply any bonus damage or effects to that attack other than those granted by the weapon itself.

So, basically, you get a "free" attack that deals less damage, but your main attack remains unaffected. Since it has to be a finesse weapon, you'll only be able to deal an extra 1d6 damage (quarterstaff should be made to deal 1d6 damage for the off-hand portion). Assuming a 75% chance to hit, that's on average an extra 2.625 damage per turn. It also means you can wield a strength weapon in your main hand and a finesse in your off hand, but if your dex is low then you're less likely to hit with the off-hand attack.

From there, I could definitely see adding on more feats to improve the off-hand swing's power, such as allowing strength weapons, allowing ability modifiers, and so on.

I'm undecided on whether it should allow sneak attack or expertise dice to be added to the damage. I suppose it basically comes down to how powerful and plentiful other feats are. If nothing else, it could probably be included in a later feat.

Edit: Some example further feats:

Ambidexterity
    Requires: Two-Weapon Fighting, 13 dexterity
    You may wield any one-handed weapon in your off-hand. Additionally, you may apply your strength or dexterity score to off-hand attacks, as appropriate.

Two-Weapon Mastery
    Requires: Ambidexterity, 15 dexterity
    Your off-hand attack is treated as a normal attack for all purposes, such as adding bonuses and allowing the use of class features such as Sneak Attack and Combat Expertise bonus damage.

Twin Strike:
    Requires: Two-Weapon Mastery, 17 dexterity
    If you hit a target with both attacks, treat both hits as critical strikes.
    (If they buff criticals a lot, probably change it to make just your main-hand attack a crit)
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2012-08-23 at 06:04 PM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.