1. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread

OK! Since this is long, I broke it up with Sblocks so it’s not a wall of text.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ritual of Rebirth
    I feel that "Becoming a nafairi isn’t undertaken lightly. It is a long process full of self-reflection and commitment." would read better if you combined them into one sentence split by a comma.
    There shouldn't be a comma separating "glorious" from "child".

FIXED!

Adventurers
    I think you meant "have a friendly duel with a" instead of "have a friendly duel a".
    FIXED!

Archetye
    There seems to be several instances of the text not matching the table.
    REPLYI’m not sure what you are pointing out here. Maybe I’m just herp derpin, would you mind specifying?

There are no Genasi in Pathfinder. There are races that are basically them without sharing the name, but they aren't Genasi.
    REPLY: I will amend the fluff to take this into account, it may be a bit before I properly amend every instance.

The way you worded their type change is weird/incorrect.
    REPLY: Mkay, I was going off of the dragoneborn that gains the dragonblood subtype. In your opinion what would work? Just giving them the elemental subtype? Or going ahead to tack in Outside (Humanoid, earth, etc)?

When you say they keep their racial hit dice, do you mean they don't recalculate them/gain the benefits of the Outsider type or what?
    REPLY: Once again this is a throwback to the original text. My assumption is that since the Outside type says junk like “they have X HD and X skill points” I’m going to say yes, you keep whatever HD you had from other classes or Racial HD in the case of playing something monstrous and continue to grow in HD as your class states. However, if you get racial HD (via a class or bloodline or w/e) you gain future racial HDs as an Outside (once again assuming we keep the Outsider type).

There is no Level Adjustment in Pathfinder
    REPLY: This doesn’t make sense to me. Or my DM. We add LA’s to various “above 11 RP races” so ALL the previous templates don’t need to be redone into RP features and built from the ground up. I will take it out of this race however since that is a ‘us’ specific rule.

Can someone point me to where in Pathfinder that they specified that losing a prerequisite for a prestige class loses you abilities from it? That was something argued to death in 3.0/3.5, but I never looked into it when switching to Pathfinder.
    REPLY: Hmmmm…. Good GOOD point. It doesn’t say that you lose… however; I reckoned it was similar to the feats. You lose a base feat you can’t use its further feats. BUT! A feat is not a prestige class and the whole thing about losing abilities from a class doesn’t sit well with me. If it is divinely given, you can’t really argue with that, “No bro, gimme back my solar flare, you worship shadows now.” I don’t know… I’ll wait for further discussion on this point.

The flight speed is worded kind of wonky. You specify it needs to end on a solid surface, but not begin on it. So this means basically Feather Fall or similar along with flight since you can just move your flight speed down every round to lessen the falling damage. And as written, it's overpowered as a racial ability for a base race.
    REPLY: Done to be like the airstep sandals from Magic of the Incarnum page 55.
    “While worn, the airstep sandals allow you to fl y up to 10
    feet (good maneuverability) as a move action once per round.
    You must end the flight solidly supported or you fall.”
    Not sure what else to say on that note.

Why is the ability called Prismatic Shell? And did you mean it to affect both melee and ranged touch attacks?
    REPLY: Why is anything called anything lol I don’t know! I tossed a name on it because in my mind it looked like a sphere of windy goodness. What about Tempest Shell?
    Also, added the word “ranged” in front of touch attacks because no, I did NOT intend it to apply to melee touch attacks.

Spoiler
    Show
    How exactly does the Reflexive Eruption ability work? You can only use it in response to an action and you only get one immediate action per turn. Does it stick around for the rest of the round or what? You didn't really define the dimensions of the wall version of this either or what kind of cover/concealment it grants.
    REPLY: The earth eruption pops up (out down or out depending on where your source is) and attempts to stop the effect and immediately crumbles. As for the wall, dimension have been defines as being 1 foot thick.

Do fires even have size categories?
    REPLY: Not sure. But I added examples and if that’s not good enough I will go into further detail somehow.

Does the Immolate ability affect things without body temperatures (such as Undead or Constructs) or creatures that are already extremely hot or cold (such as creatures with the Fire and Cold subtypes)?
    REPLY: Added in a specification. “In the case of a creature without heat (Construct or Undead) or in the case of a creature that is already extremely cold (such as creatures with the cold subtype) he generates the heat via his concentration and the effect continues as normal. In the case of creatures that are already extremely hot, they can still become hotter and but likely their natural fire resistance will be enough to ignore his immolate damage.”

Immolate and Flame Mantle just seem...weak choices compared to other elements' choices. Fire is the most commonly resisted energy type and you need to burn (pun not intended) a feat to help mitigate this.
    REPLY: Immolate can be used as a move action. This is the balancing factor for it being weak. Also keep in mind, since it is a move action he can choose to use it twice per round. However, the extra points only come at further rounds not at further uses. GREAT for a fire caster for example. They immolate constantly all the while blasting or doing whatever, and have a way to deal with things with low fire resist (if they take the feat of course). Flame Mantle is for the melee fella. I did notice that since it’s for the melee fella, Cha will probably be a dump stat (I NEVER consider the concept of dump stats since I am a heavy RP guy and so I missed it) and changed the number of times it activates to equal Cha -10 and at 12 HD its equal to Cha. Remember, this is good for multiple attacks. Makes the baddy dislike hurting you.

Out of curiosity, why does Elemental Fortification replace the Elemental Aspect racial feature instead of the Elemental Resistance one?
    REPLY: Uh… BECAUSE! ((Fixed))

What's an Elemental Bender?
    REPLY ::insert evil laughter:: Yessss… this worked exactly as I had planned. Soon the answer to this question shall be revealed… sooooon.

You might want to clean up the Planar Sibling abilities, since I'm a little confused about what some of them do. Also, you don't need to include the dead/empty levels in the chart. I just included all 20 so folks didn't need to do any further coding for the table.
    REPLY: Please clarify which ones are herp derp. It all makes sense to me (since I’m the originator of the thought that makes sense) and I took out the dead levels.

Lingering Ozone seems like it can be a double-edged sword since it affects a square, not a creature.
    REPLY: Good point. My hope was that a person who stayed in the square was penalized for it but if they moved it was ok. I’ll go ahead and make it for the target.

I'm not sure how the Searing Immolation feat works the way it's worded.
    REPLY: To be honest I am not sure how to explain it in mechanics. Let me give you a scenario to help you understand and maybe you can aid me.

Jeff the 3rd level fire nafairi has taken immolate and searing immolation. He is in class and is mad at his teacher (who is also a fire nafairi) and elects to immolate her in retribution.

On round 1 he deals 2 points of fire damage to her. With her fire resistance 5 she does not take the damage.
    On round 2 he deals 3 points of fire damage to her. To the same effect, much to his dismay.
    On round 3 and 4, the same result occurs.
    On round 5 he deals 6 points of damage and at this point she makes a save and passes. Half damage reduces it to 3 and she does not notice.
    On round 6, he has still not dealt damage to her so she still has her fire resistance. But he tries again and finally with success. He deals 7 points of fire damage to her and she fails her save. Because of her fire resistance she only takes 2 points of damage. This is where searing immolation kicks in.
    On rounds 7, as she is yelling at the bad little boy in the class, he deals 7 points again, since he has reached the height of his increased damage. Since she took 2 points of damage the previous round, her fire resistance is only 3 right now. She feels 4 points of fire damage and her fire resistance is reduced to zero.
    On round 8 he kills her and begins eating his black forest ham sammich as children run screaming from the room. Jeff is incarcerated in juvy and later gets out to become a serial killer. A paladin kills him before he turns 21 and he never got to enjoy a fine ale. We are sad for Jeff.
    Last edited by Deviston; 2012-08-24 at 07:32 PM.