Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
I think the goal of feats should be to emphazise certain aspects of the character and focus on things that everyone can do but are of greater importance for the character.

When I play a campaign from 1st to 6th level, I don't want to have for my 3rd feat before my character becomes what I want it to be. Any action should be possible regardless of feats. A feat should increase the likelyhood and degree of success.

I think that's the biggest problem with pretty much all d20 games, that you have to wait for high levels until your character can actually do what you want him to do. So far, changing this seems to be the main issue that 5th Edition is adressing.
I like the Archery specialization. It doesn't enable you to do anything new. You still shot a single arrow at a single target. But with the feats, you shot more often and have a good chance at incredibly difficult shots.
Or the Lurker specialization, which does not affect your sneak attacks at all. But it significantly decreses the chance that you become unable to exploit it.

Those are great feats! You still can only do the same things you can do without them. But you have really good chance to succeed in situation that would normally be highly unlikely.

Ambusher is possibly the coolest feat I've ever seen! You attack from shadow and make a sneak attack. Yes, any rogue can do that. But most rogues have to wait for the target to walk right next to their hiding spot. An Ambusher can crash through a window or bolt out of a crowd and cross the room to stab the king in the heard while everyone is watching and still reaching for their weapons. That's awesome! And still you just get a single sneak attack like any rogue who sneaked up behind the throne and slit the kings throne from the behind him.
I agree with this concept. Just because a character is 1st level doesn't mean he's not entitled to do cool, awesome things. Details to be worked out.