1. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5th Editon Discussion: 6th thread and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I doubt that'll work out in practice. There are generally some good low-level tricks that remain relevant.

(note how the designers of 4E assumed that low-level powers and low-level items wouldn't be useful any more to a moderate-level character, and how they were dead wrong about that).
    I'm not saying low levels spells won't be useful, but a higher level spell will always deal less damage, and really nasty lower levels save or lose spells(like hold person) won't work on higher level foes. A 3.x wizard's hold person was still insanely difficult to save agienst even for a high level foe if they had a bad will save.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashdate View Post
    Feats ended up sort of weird in 4e; they didn't end up with the "chain" of prereqs, but many are restricted to race, class, and occasionally ability scores. I think it added more bloat than anything to the system, but overall I'm fairly neutral about them. I think I would prefer there to be fewer feats with less restrictions for 5e tho.
    The problem with 4e feats, is since most offered small numerical bonuses, it was usually pretty obvious what feats were better than others(it just took some math), and too many feats amounted to "if you qualify you must take it". Feats wear not really used to customize your character, but where more like a math test at level up.
    Last edited by TheOOB; 2012-08-25 at 08:31 PM.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion