1. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5th Editon Discussion: 6th thread and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    On prerequisites: I can say this, taking an option at level-up you aren't interested in just so you can qualify for something you want later isn't fun. It actually kinda sucks considering you basically walk out of that level with no new shiny toys, it's bad for the same reasons dead levels are bad.
    I'd also note that it is unnecessary, as one could just have all spells have a scaling mechanic. I'm thinking of something like a per spell metamagic effect, where you have a spell, and you can increase its level to do specific things, which effectively has spells at a range of levels (to use the Fireball example being thrown around, you might have that end up being level 1-5 or so, with a level 1 base spell, up to 2 levels of increase in damage, and up to 2 levels of increase in spread).

On Sorcerers and Warlocks: I'm not liking the whole "class X hates class Y" nonsense this is setting up, and the fluff is a little overbearing, particularly as spontaneous mages are prevalent within fantasy and currently can't be represented well due to the way sorcerers and warlocks appear to be handled. However, both the sorcerer and warlock are close to workable. The core concept of the warlock as someone who has traded something for power is a usable one with precedent in the literature under various names, and if the inner power concept is broadened so that the trapped soul is just a subset of sorcerers, that should work as well.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2012-08-26 at 08:07 PM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.