1. - Top - End - #1407
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Got a Real World Weapons or Armour Question? Mk X

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    Gloved punches do not even begin to approximate the full depth of hand strikes. This is worth emphasizing — bare knuckle fighting is dramatically more likely to result in serious injury because you're slamming a bunch of limestone spurs into the other guy (which is why without hand conditioning hitting someone full force will rip open your knuckles). And in that environment, you're going to see more hammer blows, more knife and spear hands, and more targeted hits to parts of the body that don't take blows from hardened hands well.

So again, the point is that you can't necessarily use what you see in UFC and other full-contact competitions to accurately gauge things outside of those competition environments.
    That's all obvious, but again, tell me how to 'gauge' accurately things outside of competition environment?

Sport, or even more "hardcore" Vale Tudo I like to watch to, are absolutely not fully accurate in any way, it's always artificial situation.

But it's hard to impossible to find anything as better gauge of some interesting aspect.

Some traditional competitions will be even more limited usually. Thai box, karate, and so on.

Actual taped "street fights" will consist of some psycho bums gassing out quickly while bitting and pinching stuff. Rather fugly.

As far as 'hardened hands' go, then any boxer and other. will have calloused and hardened hands, majority of population not.

I heard that some martial arts "hardening" techniques by breaking them against hard objects etc. are absolutely harmful rubbish. Some people, particularly practitioners will obviously defend it like a grail, so it's difficult topic.

Huh. He dropped his guard 40 seconds into the fight against someone who wasn't a renowned striker? I guess some UFC guys do make really stupid, clumsy mistakes for no appreciable reason. Well, there's an opinion lowered.
    Okay, in the first place, it was Strikeforce, not UFC. UFC is an promotion, sport is MMA.

And yes, he didn't show very good form, but vast majority of the people, and I'm talking about fighters in general, have trouble with keeping their other hands up while moving in and striking. Just not very natural instinct.

If you have 'opinion lowered' from that, then you can have high opinion mostly about some ~ top 100 level boxers of the world, who are really well drilled. And random representatives of other striking disciplines.

None of this happens if the person getting hit has strong neck and jaw muscles and knows and remembers how to absorb a hit.
    That's widely and often postulated, but it's just not true. As in one cannot state 'none of this happens'. Plenty of guys with absolutely powerful, roided out necks and muscles in general, and striking experience get KO'd as well. Some of them very easily, 'chin' seems to be largely genetic.

Especially if 'strong muscles' are objectively not strong enough, because opponent is of much larger frame.

It happens often, and to good strikers, if they're opponent is just that much better this day. Muscles won't really help.

Spoiler
    Show

Jerome Le Banner is mountain of a man, and experienced striker all around, at that time already Kickboxing vetera, Kyokushin black belt, ad so on, but stuff happens if you allow opponent to land such a bomb.

It would probably KTFO me trough the glove no matter how 'strong' neck I had, lol, I'm just not build to take something like that (so is not most people who are not of HW frame).

"There are no people immune to strikes, only those who haven't been hit well enough"

Bracing against hit is not always possible, if you're getting feinted and generally bested in striking, but you have written few paragraphs about it anyway.

Okay. Yes, fair enough, if you're up against someone who doesn't know how to defend themselves with either their hands or their body mechanics it is relatively easy to take them down with a straightforward blow as long as you have the strength for it.
    And vast majority of population would have absolutely no more idea how to defend themselves than those guys. So equating to some of best martial artists out there, who do it seriosuly and whole time is not the best idea.

Strike against the clavicle so that the hand rests on either the back of the neck or the back of the shoulder, and apply downward pressure against the bone with the forearm. If you have really absurdly strong fingers, you can do that directly to the bone with your thumb.
    That seems applicable from thai clinch, but as long as opponents resisting, he can rather easily shrug off the forearm.

What is this supposed to do in effect, anyway?
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2012-08-27 at 11:17 AM.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.