Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
multiheaded dogpeople...?
Not actually multi-headed, in the 1st picture I provided, there were just 5 kobolds behind each other with their heads sticking out. They're no hydra.
But yeah, kobolds have very few universal properties. They tend to be somewhat mentally-challenged, on the short side, and fond of outnumbering their enemies (whether that strategy works is another story), but other than that, no one can agree on their general physical appearance. *shrugs*
Few other generic fantasy creatures have vague descriptions like that. There are dragons (so, SO many kinds, of all the colors of the rainbow, and more!), and the fae (which can readily be explained by their capricious and chaotic nature) that I know of, in supplement to kobolds. And trolls, too, who are territorial and are often (but not always) quite good at regeneration.

... I suppose that my conclusion is "even fantasy creatures label themselves the way they want". If kobolds want to be bipedal dogs or related to dragons, let them be. Except those invicible vampires who try to sparkle in sunlight, that is just plain wrong. Don't hog the sparkles, give them back to the fae, man.