1. - Top - End - #296
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: She Blinded Me with Science! (Magitek That Doesn't Make Me Cry Myself To Sleep)

Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    Now this is a very complex system so forgive me if my following assumptions are fundamentally flawed.

1) A golden arcanodynamic input creates a 5ft bubble of darkness in otherwise complete day light producing 3 ebbs

2) A golden arcanodynamic output requires 4 ebbs to fill its bubble with sun light, whether that bubble is 5ft or 50ft

If those points are correct then one could create a 50ft sphere of light would cost 4 ebbs per round to power and put a number of golden inputs within that area producing tremendous free power. If I’m right it’s probably because golden transformers are unique in that increasing the bubble actually increases the affect, were most have a measurable affect unrelated to area.
    Good question! You're right that gold transformers work a little differently than most of them, and the key thing you missed is that output transformers have bubbles attached to them that follow all the same rules for input transformers. This only comes up when you have something like the heat or cold or light transformers that affect some ambient feature inside of the net; for the other transformers it's only real relevance is that the bubbles have to match in size to fit them together.

Quote Originally Posted by Me!
    Luminous output generates illumination within the bubble. The level of the illumination depends on the amount of energy transformed. If 2 ebbs are transformed, shadowy illumination is generated. If 3 ebbs are transformed, normal light is generated. If 4 ebbs are transformed, full daylight (including all benefits related to daylight, such as its effects on vampires) is generated. A specific level of radiance can be set when the transformer is first prepared, and the level can be modulated by anyone holding the transformer. Excess energy increases the area of the illumination, increasing the bubble of light's radius by 10ft. per ebb. Light output from a transformer still radiates lesser illumination beyond its normal radius like any other light source.
    So it starts off with a radius of the normal bubble size for the net, and extra ebbs can advance the bubble size beyond that. You're absolutely right that you could probably set up a machine that uses sets of gold input and output to make some free energy, but it's not quite as simple as just setting the gold output to 500ft. or something.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I was looking back over your post, and I'm actually not sure whether you thought that the bubble of light was increasable with extra ebbs, or if you thought that the radius could arbitrarily be decided when you set it up. If the former, that is indeed what's intended. Sorry if I misinterpreted

Also regarding the YGGD 101 rule changes. Aw, now I’m going to have to rethink several of my contraptions. Do the new rules affect output transformers, or affects that target the closest person or object?
    Haha, yeah, I'm sorry. There's just too many easy exploits, like completely negating the point of engines having weight.

Specifically it targets area effects. You can still, say, shoot an arrow through the portal, or a ray, or something like that. But something like a fireball or an output transformer's bubble stops at the boundary.

How do the new YGGD 101 rules affect heuristic circuits, are nodes within semi-spaces that are within heuristic fields counted as being in the heuristic field themselves? My gut says no but I have to ask.
    Good catch! The circuit is itself a bubble-shaped field which can control the portal. So you can control the portal opening or closing, which could also trigger a circuit built inside of the space, but you don't automagically get to control everything inside the space. This is actually a fairly key point, because it means that you can't have a six-mile wide demiplane under the perfect control of one circuit just because the portal is inside of the bubble.

Also can a Gramarist use his eldritch blast as a power source?
    Yes! It's a spell-like ability, and can be used to power a silver input. I gave it to them specifically so that they would always have a way to generate energy, actually. That's also why silver nets come with ARCD 101.

Quote Originally Posted by General Patton
    Time to design my first handheld weapon. Create a demiplane, preferably time accelerated, and build in it a generator system linked to a Crystal Output Transformer. Encapsulate the Transformer in a sphere-like configuration of semi-space portals that loop around to the other side. Place at least one additional portal in this area and link them to the ends of your gun-shaped implements of choice. Assign an AI control of the portals and Transformers, turn on your epic sub-woofer and accumulate infinite decibels. If you'd like to limit the hemispherical wave of destruction that ensues when you open the portal, just fashion a barrel out of Black Filters to make it into a cone or a beam.
    I really like that use of Black filters! That's very inventive.

Quote Originally Posted by jseah
    Why would you want such a thing? Well, for one thing, bubbles get obscenely expensive in terms of time as they get larger. And chaining wood transformers results in stupidly high losses.

You can use light beams to perform long range power transmission (10+ kilometers) at 75% maximum efficiency using a Gold input on the other end, with little required other than a set of focusing lenses if you need a waystation due to curvature and such.

Also, if you have enough UMD and ebbs, it's also somewhat like a laser cannon. No, that was definitely not an intentional result. =P
    That's pretty super great. Once you have long-range transmission like that, it also means that you can have circuits communicating with each other across massive distances. And also it just totally seems like a thing that would happen, with engineers designing this awesome power source and somebody getting the idea to use it as a death cannon.

EDIT

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra
    Then, we have the thing absorb light, and turn something nasty into a vicious acid. So, for example, take Quicksilver, which is a liquid at room temperature, and turn it into a vicious acid.

I'm sorry, everything immersed in the doubletime death fluid has the rate of damage DOUBLED.
    Outstanding. Awesome use of quicksilver and acid outputs, that's really clever.
    Last edited by Kellus; 2012-08-28 at 11:39 PM.