Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
So question! A friend of mine posted on her facebook linking to a quote from a website saying something along the lines of "it bothers me when straight people refer to their significant other as their 'partner'". (She's lesbian.) Is that a thing?

Why shouldn't we? It's a perfectly acceptable gender-neutral term. For those richer in years, being referred to as a "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" leaves a somewhat nasty taste in the mouth as suggests a level of immaturity stemming from the "boy" or "girl" part. It wouldn't really matter a jot to me if someone referred to their lover as a "boyfriend/girlfriend", "partner", "significant other" or if they want to be crude "a casual fluff". With the fluff part exchanged for a similar word.

The only time I can see it as an issue is if someone isn't out about their sexuality and they use the term "partner" to avoid disclosing the gender of their beau.

But again, it's a perfectly acceptable term, what's the beef?

@^: Something curious just happened. I was about to reply to Kender's comment when I got about 5 minutes of the "Server Busy" error. I reconnect and find several comments posted by you. Maybe we've found the cause of the server problems....*glares suspiciously*