My problem with this kind of reset is that the boardwipe doesn't normally arise organically from the elements of the story. Its obviously just there for the commercial benefits of telling people to buy new books because their old ones are now obsolete. Yeah I know that's the business model but they could at least be a bit more elegant about it.

How about this. I create a setting to sell. I know that in 4 years I will have reached market saturation. I will want to have a new product at that time that replaces the old one. So I put a built in time bomb into the story.

In the magical world of Algodia the evil Necromancer Zarek was sealed away with his magic a thousand years ago by 7 magical artifacts. 5 of the seals have been broken since then. There is a published quest where another seal is broken(about 2 years into the products life cycle). The loremasters believe the final seal will not last much longer. The PCs regularly fight villians who want to speed Zarek's return.

Then when I want to put out a new edition I declare the final seal has been broken and Zarek has broken free bringing back necromancy and doing terrible things to the world.

Much more elegant in my opinion.