Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar
I just need to figure out the details of how the world was shattered and how the surviving shards are kept intact (clearly magic - or psionics - but I need the specifics). My current thought is that some evil power tried to destroy the world, but a cabal of powerful mages and/or clerics and/or psionicists managed to partially thwart the attempt. The lingering effects of that keep most of the shards in working order, and magics can be worked upon them now to move them around and the like (the big shards just need so much magic that basically no one can manage it).
Chaotic Good Druid cleansing the world of evil by destroying all the evil on it in one fell swoop. The ultimate in zealotry.

He and his druid and sorceror followers concoct [plan A], which involves purging the world of all bad things with [fire/ice/death] by using some gigantic [Epic Spell/Ritual/artifact]. [Group of heroes/monastery of TN clerics/what have you] discovers the plot when one of the less zealous members chickens out and comes running to them with the problem. [Group B] determines to stop [Group A] with [Plan B] that makes assumptions about [Plan A] that are patently incorrect.

[Plan B] goes without hitch, disrupting but not counterspelling [Plan A], which misfires and instead of killing the evil in the world, destroys the world itself, shattering it into many pieces. [Group B] realizes their mistake and sacrifices themselves rescuing the shattered shards of the world by [offering themselves to their god/using an artifact/using more epic spells]. However, both groups died in the process, so no one really knows the "why" of anything, just that it happened.

There. Instant plot.