Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post

Technically, the "Vampires of Venice" aren't vampires. Nor is the episode historical. It is in actual fact, the weak link of the season (although some consider either Chibnall's 2 parter or Beast Below (the one Moffat, you've never seen) worse).
I think I'd consider "The Beast Below" the weakest episode of that season. Though to me, it's a relatively "flat" season--all of the episodes were fairly mediocre (though mediocre Who is still one of the best things on TV) with nothing standing out as particularly good or bad. I realizes that's probably a distinctly minority opinion, since a lot of people really, really like "The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone" and the season finale, and while opinion is more divided, there are a lot of fans of "Vincent and the Doctor" and "The Lodger" as well. To me, though, it's much more consistant than the following season, when the episodes varied wildly in quality.

Although I'm not disillusioned, I just think Moffat's let it get to his head and he should move on and work for something else (although, who would be the showrunner?). Moffat's all like "I've made Dr Who an event" and "The Davis era is a relic" or "My take is unique". You know what Moffat? Without Davis, your run would not have existed. Your run only works when contrasted with lighter and softer Davis. That's why your episodes were best, as a contrast. If you'd wanted to be first Showrunner, you could have done it. You did it with Rowan Atkinson. But you didn't. And your show would not have worked if it came before Davis. Cartmel master plan didn't work (by the way, Moffat's not trying to reproduce that, the plan has been leaked in a novel). This would not have worked unless Davis came beforehand.
I've been pretty hard on Moffat myself, but I really liked "Asylum of the Daleks", so I take it all back. For now. But I reserve the right to say it again if the rest of the season doesn't live up to its promise.