1. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD VI: The Undiscovered Creature (Please Read the First Post)

Quote Originally Posted by RunicLGB View Post
    lasts 1 minute per level, and its not listed under permanency the spell, but I'm sure there's some Wondrous item out there for it, and as permanency states you can make other spells permanent if you research them.
    Pity, for a moment I hoped I had a good reason to ignore the scene.

To recoup:
    • RC is a cleric, and doesn't have access to levitation, so he can't have cast it
    • A circus isn't going to use a Wondrous item just to levitate a box
    • I doubt the circus has in payroll a spellcaster of high enough level and with enough resources to research a permanent levitation spell.

This leaves that such a spellcaster exists in the world, and charges people to cast the spell on their stuff - that is the kind of mundane utility magic never seems to be put to in fantasy worlds (kind of why anyone would even bother manufacturing torches when a light spell effectively lasts forever). While this is possible if unheard of, we know that the dessert traders would rather use a belt of ogre strength to unload heavy stuff than pay for this theoretical permanent levitation spell, so I think the most likely scenario is that no such spell is easily available (alternatively, the one guy that sells it is on a different continent, but if you could make a living out of it, he'd have expanded to all major trade routes by now).

So, all in all, I think we can pretty much assume that, unless there is a cleric spell that does the same thing, no such spell was in use in those scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_D&Der View Post
    Was there a wizard/sorc in the scene with the box? I ask because I really don't remember.
    No, RC was sneaking MitD off on his own.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-09-04 at 11:45 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est