1. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD VI: The Undiscovered Creature (Please Read the First Post)

Quote Originally Posted by Kondziu View Post
    Well, I just wanted to provide the information. But I can see RC preparing for busting MitD, thoroughly (he's lawful, after all)
    Why would him being lawful make any impact on how prepared he was for a theft?

Actually, don't answer that. I can accept that he would prepare himself in advance just because he is a planner, and I don't want a "what does lawful mean" discussion.

I honestly have no idea what level he was at that point of SoD, but I don't think getting a few cheap magic items for the sole purpose of sneaking MitD out of there would be outside of his abilities.
    At this point he is away from his regular lair, effectively on holidays, IIRC. So he would be limited to the amount of money he happens to be carrying, and the items available in a poor goblin community, so he would be quite limited in the number and quality of items he could buy.

We also don't know what kind of enhancements (if any) does The Crimson Mantle provide.
    As I have argued, if the Mantle gave any kind of strength improvement, RC would have at least picked up a melee weapon by now to make the best out of the improvement. He hasn't. The evidence, too, suggests that the Mantle mostly gives knowledge.

Bottom line: I don't think it can tell us anything useful, but I also don't think Redcloak couldn't have done it.
    As I said, I will need some time to counter this, but even if I agree that he's not lifting but pushing, I still want some hard numbers on this. If we assume that he has strength 12 (base 8 + 4 from bull's strength), and that he is indeed pushing and not lifting (i.e. x5), what is the maximum weight he can lift? And what base strength would he need to lift 1350 pounds (850 lb box weight + 500 lb MitD)?

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Rules are rules, and ok. Let's talk physics.
    The Mitd stands on one side of the thing, Redcloak has an easier time lifting the other side.
    He holds it there with a stone or something.
    he pushes there the cart.
    he stops the wheels of the cart.
    he pushes the box up. (Maybe he also asks Mitd to go on the upper side of it).

In every step the box is being dragged, and never lifted. Should i explain better? i know not everyone has the same thinking pattern, do you want me to draw something ?
    Oh, I know what you mean. At some point the box still needs to leave the ground to be lifted onto the cart, and at another point the same for the other end. If MitD fills the box (likely, if he is large, which is the size of most suggestions*), there is no moving him around - he can be assumed to always be averagely distributed. That's the physics of it.

The rules of it is if pushing x5 is specified as "along the ground". Since RC didn't use an inclined plane, the rules may simply not apply. Thus, why I need time to investigate this and not just pull it out of my brain (or worse, my rear end, thinking I remember correctly).

To be clear: I'm not discounting your argument. I just need to double check it.

Grey Wolf

*Most suggestions that still manage to fit in the box and RC has a chance to lift, that is. While you could cram a Huge creature into the box, we'd be talking about tons rather than pounds at that point and that is likely impossible. We don't get that many normal-sized suggestions that have the required strength, unsurprisingly
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-09-04 at 01:49 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est