1. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD VI: The Undiscovered Creature (Please Read the First Post)

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    Yes, but that's mostly because oak is a good wood for applications where rot would be a problem. In the case of a box, that factor isn't relevant.

Obviously, for a ship, oak is CERTAINLY worth the extra trouble.

For wooden exterior doors that will have to withstand decades of rain and humidity... sure, again worth it.

For a crate... not really, no.
    Except this create is not really a shipping container, but a crate used in a circus. Which is supposed to contain dangerous creatures. And from what I recall of my youth when circuses actually existed, would be kept outdoors as a matter of fact. So the rotting/waterproofing part of it would still be at the forefront of their concerns.

@Hardcore: we are using Occam's razor. The assumption that oak was used is precisely an application of Occam - one side arguing that it is the smallest assumption since it is the logical wood to use, the other side arguing it is an unnecessary assumption because softer woods could have been used instead.

Now, if you refer to magic being in play, I agree. I argued as much for the wizard spells, extra magical objects and the non-evidenced Mantle bonus. But even with those discarded as per Occam, there is still other assumptions whose respective weights are in contention.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-09-04 at 03:37 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est