1. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5th Editon Discussion: 6th thread and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    I think it's definitely possible, but I will say it'll require a fundamental rethinking of how D&D works (and the slaughter of many, many sacred cows).

I'm not asking for "A character who puts every last point into combat (A) will be just as good at combat as a character who spreads all their points evenly (B)", I'm asking for "A and B are just as worthwhile to have in the party."
    Yes, but who is to measure what is worthwhile to the party. In a combat heavy campaign, a fighter taking summon familiar is only screwing him and his party over, but in a campaign focused around stealth and intrigue it could be one of the best feats in the game. WotC can't balance every feat for every possible occasion. And while I agree that preserving sacred cows for the purpose of tradition alone can be silly, you also have to remember that there are literally hundreds of RPG's out there, and if D&D changes too much too fast it risks losing it's identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    This, I feel is a very good thing to do, as long as it is done right. Leveling into a class needs to feel organic, not "I read over the wizard's shoulder & he showed me some things about magic, now I am just as competent as he is after spending his entire childhood training"
    Yeah. Imagine taking a level dip in rogue. You'd gain 2d6 sneak attack, a rogue scheme, skill master(both the min ten and the +3 or ability mod thing). That's insane, you'd be a fool not to take it. The implication I got is that if you start as a rogue, you get all that at once, but if you enter rogue later, it'll take a few levels until you get all those abilities.

On the other hand dipping spell casters they said will be more viable, as a higher level character might get slightly higher level spells than just level 1. Since spells don't scale with level 3 level 1 spells would be pretty useless to a level 15 character.
    Last edited by TheOOB; 2012-09-05 at 08:30 PM.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion