1. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Blackwood - A Folkloric "Mini" Setting (WIP, PEACH)

So! The Art Institute. It's a sweet place, and while I wish they had more of their armory on display, it's still a cool place to get ideas for all kinds of stuff. Let's jump on in!

This fountain
    is outside the building in this cool little courtyard. It is now also in the Aduna, the capital of Cerai, in a place called the Pavilion of Cleansing (working title). The fountain depicts the moment when Saint Helene cleansed the sick with the legendary Clamshell Basin. She felt the plight of the diseased, and so prayed to Mareal Turi on the rocky northwestern shores of the Central Sea for a way to help them. Mareal Turi hallowed a great clamshell with His Light, and forever after it poured the holy, healing waters whenever held high in Mareal Turi's name. No one know what became of the Clamshell Basin, though quests in its name a started often.

I think Cerai--Aduna in particular--is ruled by some kind of badass council. Conveniently, there are 5 realms within Cerai, and all I need to do is tweak their virtues (I made some up awhile ago, but I don't think they're very good). So far, I know that the leaders of the Council will be ordained into the Unified faith, so they will be high-ranking church members. I also know that they will need to look after the business of Faith, History, Commerce, Justice, and War. I'm thinking they will all have the honorific "Lord," though I'm open to suggestions for cool french/bedouin-esque titles.

In Vindland, wind-tossed hair is highly-prized. There is no lack of wind on the island, Vindlander warriors will often keep their hair unbound and untangled, so that they might better intimidate their enemies.

In the Blackwood, they believe that the spirits of their ancestors keep them safe from the wiles of the Wood. Because of this, even small villages have a place of memory for their ancestors, though most will go so far as to keep the ashes of their ancestors in shrines. Unlike traditional graveyards, these shrines are often scattered throughout a settlement, usually in places of peace, beauty, or happiness. Many people leave offerings at these shrines, whether or not they were related to the deceased.
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2012-09-06 at 08:57 AM.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.