Quote Originally Posted by 1337 b4k4 View Post
Actually, given how the playtest has been shaking up so far, I think they could go pretty far with making feats and specialties more expansive, and doing away with "multi-classing" as we know it.

You class defines your core, it is who you are at the most basic level. Then have feats encompass minor versions of class features and be available to all (much the way "Arcane Dabbler" does now). Are you a fighter that does some magic, great, take Arcane Dabbler and maybe later on (at higher levels) some feats might grant you some regular level spells too, but you will never be as good as the wizard at spells. Similarly, want to be a wizard that mixes it up from time to time, take some feats that maybe give you access to some better HP, AC or to-hits, and maybe at higher levels, limited CS dice, but you will never be as good as a real fighter. Eliminates the problems with front loading without having to deal with starting at a higher level (and all that entails) and gets rid of nasty experience progression issues too.
Might be interesting One addition--those feats shouldn't be available to the classes they're based on. A wizard taking a feat that lets mundanes cast would be a little silly and might be exploitable.

I agree, I'm happy with light flavor in D&D. If I want to play GURPS, I'll play GURPS, but I want D&D, which includes some basic shared tropes.
D&D is a classic feel, not a classic set of mechanics. As shown by the four editions sharing a lot of the same feel but with widely disparate mechanics. Change that basic feel and we might as well play a different RPG.