Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
*snip*
Personally I've thought about different ramifications of Lawful and Chaotic so much that different points started matching up and the whole thing lost meaning to me. (I really need to take shorter showers.)
But the reason I mentioned it in the first place is that:
Spoiler
Show
The first time I played a Paladin, the DM ruled that when the party decided to work against the local government (my Paladin's former employers) when we discovered they were personally directing kidnapping of and experimentation on small children, and that they were trying to revive some kind of god of death and pain, he had to multiclass to Paladin of Freedom to keep some of his powers. I disagreed that was enough to make him lose his powers, because he wasn't committing an evil act, but the line about "respecting legitimate authority" was probably the bit he was reading.

Fluff: Paladins must be lawful good, and they lose their divine powers if they deviate from that alignment. (Which implies that if you change from Lawful you also fall, which the class doesn't say anything about later.)
Class mechanics: A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act. Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.

And so the whole Law-Chaos thing was thrown into disarray in my mind because apparently some see refusing to sway from one's beliefs as counting as chaotic if it means rebelling against one's leaders.
Also, the descriptions of Law and Chaos in the 3.X PHB (that's the one I remember best) are kind of vague and in places are not mutually exclusive. There's no reason somebody with no respect for authority should have to be unreliable or dishonorable. There's no reason somebody with a strict personal code has to be trustworthy or obey authority.

Further, the alignment scale in general is a little too black-and-white for me. I saw a simple fix that I like the idea of: Add "Exalted", "Vile", "Anarchic", and "Axiomatic", and the variations that come with them, and you get a still-fairly-simple scale that allows for more variation. A Paladin could be Exalted-Lawful and clearly place more emphasis on Good than on Law, or could be Axiomatic-Good and clearly place more emphasis on Law than on Good.