Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
Why would it be? Most editions don't even have first-level experts. If something is called a "mountain leveling strike" then it had darn well better be able to level mountains. Otherwise don't call it that. Exalted does this pretty well, overall.
Ehh, I'm not sure I agree. Some level of hyperbole is acceptable, after all Plow Guard has nothing to do with using plows as defensive equipment and the Murder Stroke doesn't automatically murder anything.

However it would be nice if these titles did give a reasonable look at what the attack was going to do. If something is called the Mountain Leveling Strike it doesn't have to actually level a mountain, but with a name like that I would expect it to be fairly powerful and likely to be good at breaking things.

Take the 3.5 Doom spell for instance. With a name like that the actual spell is incredibly lackluster.

Then again, the Devs can just plain make a mistake. Sure, hopefully everything is useful but something will inevitably slip through the cracks. Maybe the spell seemed awesome when they made it but ended up being discarded by optimizers.