1. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5th Editon Discussion: 6th thread and counting

Quote Originally Posted by turbo164 View Post
    Right and Left Hooks are hard to catch fish with.
    Funny thing is, the exact same argument was made for fourth edition (which, in the preview, had numerous feats like "Purple Phoenix Power" that gave zero indication of what they actually did) and most people concluded that there is a clear difference between a name that's a real word with a meaning you might not know (e.g. "hook" or "lucubration") and a name that's completely meaningless (e.g. "viper strike").

Anyway, a certain level of hyperbole is acceptable (e.g. a millipede does not actually have a thousand feet, it just has lots of them) but spells/maneuvers that really don't do what they advertise are problematic.

For instance, consider a divination spell that fluffs "this spell lets you find exactly the item or landmark you're looking for, wherever it is", and that in reality lets you ask three yes/no questions about said item and that's it. This spell clearly doesn't do what's advertised, and that bothers certain people. I'm sure it doesn't bother certain other people, but if WOTC is really trying to appeal to as many as possible, they should clearly avoid this.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2012-09-10 at 11:04 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!