Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
Name: Tsukamoto Maiku
Race: Human
Spoiler
Show

Appearance: Maiku is the average student at [Random Japanese School] who loves Martial Arts. In fact, she does it in her spare time. She also trains with the katana, due to the oft-sent ninjas sent to capture her in order to get to her father. Her black hair reaches down to her shoulders, but she rarely lets her hair down.

Personality: Maiku is extremely loyal to her friends, and greatly dislikes anyone who talks bad about them, often getting into a shouting match with anyone she doesn’t like. She doesn’t enjoy talking about her family, which is perfectly understandable, considering. Despite going even to yelling at those who she doesn’t know, Maiku doesn’t like to impose on her friends, and usually won’t pry into what they do unless they invite her. This is because she had recently moved back to Japan, and doesn’t know anybody very well. Whatever friends she has made in these short months, she is very loyal to them.

Backstory: Maiku grew up here in Japan. Her mother was always sick. Her father lost his job, and, while Maiku was still fairly young, they all moved to [somewhere in] Latin America with her mother’s uncle’s house. While there, Maiku’s mother slowly got sicker and weaker, and mysteriously passed away. Things became awkward, but luckily Maiku’s father got a new TOP SECRET SCIENTIST JOB in Japan. They both moved back to Japan, and Maiku’s father is never at home. He is always away doing this TOP SECRET RESEARCH, which involves an organization which does research on Hollows. Maiku is unaware of this, and only thinks that he does something for the government.

[Her mother was, during the last war, 'called' to become a Substitute Shinigami to . She survived, obviously, got married late in life, and was already (mid 40s) by the time she had Maiku. (That explains why Maiku is an only child.) Maiku's father harbored a grudge against the Soul Society, for various reasons. One day, while they were still in Japan, Maiku's mother was attacked by a hollow. Unfortunately, the regular Soul Reapers arrived just a little too late. After defeating the Hollow, Maiku's mother seemed perfectly fine, but the Hollow had some ability to slowly infect its victim and slowly turn them into a Hollow. Maiku's father noticed this, but kept it hidden from the Soul Society. When it became really apparent that something was wrong with her, he took his wife and his daughter to Latin America, where she 'died' and slowly became a Hollow. He managed to keep this all a secret from his daughter, explaining that it was just an uncurable sickness. Just before she became a Hollow, she went to Hueco Mundo because she knew that she would attack her family first thing. Maiku and her father immediately went back to Japan. When Shinigami came to her father to find out what happened (they suspected that she became a hollow) to the old Substitute Shinigami, he told them that he personally killed her after she hollified. They seemed to believe him. As time went on, Maiku's father (irrationally) blamed the Soul Society for Maiku's mother's death. He found a human-based organization that does research on hollows. (I thought of this because it helps explain lots of her backstory - it explains how her mother died, it explains why her father is doing a Top Secret Hollow Research, and it explains how Maiku develops Hollow-type Spirit powers. It also gives a good early-on conflict in the Mortal Realm, with Maiku's Hollified Mother coming and attacking Maiku and anyone else nearby.)]

Abilities: She is good at Martial Arts, and also using the katana and Ninjitsu and other cool things of the like. I’m planning on her soon being able to see Spirits. At the beginning of the story, she won’t be able to, though.

Plans with this character: What with her father doing SECRET HOLLOW TESTING, I think that it’ll be alright her somehow getting HOLLOW-type powers. How? I’ve yet to decide.
Maybe her father's (irrational) dislike of the Soul Society will be passed on to her?
The parts in bold I have added. Does that work, do I have gaping flaws in my explanation, is it cool, or should I just try to think of a better idea?

I was sitting around waiting for math class when this idea came to me. Summary:
Maiku's mother became a Substitute Soul Reaper oh-so-many years ago. Her death wasn't caused by some unexplainable sickness, but by a rogue hollow's powers. While in Latin America, the Hollow's infection made the mother became a Hollow, and they moved back to Japan. The scientist-father has harbored a grudge against the Soul Society ever since. I like it because it gives me a substantial excuse for Maiku to gain powers similar to a Hollow, it explains why Maiku's Father is involved in a TOP SECRET HOLLOW-TESTING company, it explains why Maiku's parents trained her in martial arts and swordplay, and it gives an immediate "Hollow attacks High School Student!" battle to start off the game.
It just ties up all of this character's backstory nicely.

If this works, then a starting plot could be that Maiku's mother - now a hollow - attacks students after school, painfully letting them know that there is a Spirit side to the world.

I also noticed that I no longer have a male character. Maybe I could make Maiku's father an official character. Or I could just have lots of expendable male characters from all sides.

After I finish my homework for today (note: this means I'll probably only be online tomorrow night), I'll try to figure out how inter-character relations work with my characters and other people's characters. Maiku, recently moving back to Japan, probably won't know everybody, but I'll figure it out.