Quote Originally Posted by EvilAvocado View Post
He says he is pretty sure he is himself and the demon roach says he has been wrong before.
No, he says that he wouldn't go face Xykon in his current state even if he was him (as opposed to "I wouldn't do that if I were you" meaning a fairly squishy non-melee cleric). MitD is tough, so even considering he is in far less danger from Xykon than RC, he still wouldn't go in.

Then the joke reaches its punchline, in that while MitD knows that RC is a squishy cleric, he isn't really all that certain of what he is, and for all he knows, he could be as squishy as RC when facing Xykon due to some characteristic of his species, which he is ignorant of. The roach only reinforces the point that MitD has reasons to think he would be safe, but has been wrong about self-identity circumstances before.

At this point, one is reminded of the adage about explaining jokes being like dissecting a frog: no-one really likes to do it, and the frog dies. At any rate, I see no reason to stretch that scene into a clue of his species that is not better served by other instances of the comic.

Grey Wolf