Quote Originally Posted by General Patton View Post
I feel like allowing sonic immunity to protect from a 300 decibel shockwave whose sound pressure is 20000 atmospheres and delivers 1000000 terrawatts/m^2 is comparable to allowing fire immunity to protect from the sun, a nuclear furnace that completely sunders your atoms. Your definition of immunity is a little extreme and taken far too literally. Also, this level of noise would, in addition to functioning as bludgeoning damage, cause localized earthquakes, possibly liquifying the ground.
Bluntly speaking, this is not what the rules say.

I recall reading somewhere in this thread that Kellus wanted to try and move away from the age-old arguments of how D&D mechanics stop making sense when put into our real-world physics (acid as energy, fire as an element) and tried to move into the theoretical realm of finally treating the outlandish workings of magic and etc as the factual physics and chemestry of a D&D world.

Under the above paradigm, sonic is not a force vibraitng molecules in its medium to propagate what is essentially a concussive force. It is a form of energy akin to heat (fire) and electricity, the same applies to cold and acid.

So Silence will stop this ultimate soundwave, because that is what the spell does. It neutralizes all sound. Fire immunity does, in fact, protect from the fires of the Sun (who may or may not physically be a god who may or may not secretly be evil).

The soundwave will also not cause earthquakes, it will, however, damage the ground, which will at most create difficult terrain and level structures, but it will not liquefy the ground and it will not actually cause tremors.

------

Also, since this is my first post here in this thread, I must give an all but demanded great work for Kellus. Because this is bloody impressive.