View Single Post

Thread: LGBTAitP 26: No Time For Snappy Titles

1. - Top - End - #1032
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: LGBTAitP 26: No Time For Snappy Titles

...I think I just had my first Internet Argument?
    Spoiler: Homophobic idiocy/bigotry
    Spoiler
    Show

I was bored playing WoW, too awake to sleep, waiting for a rare to appear (last two Dalaran books, if you play), and the server-wide chat turned to homosexuality. The typical bigot/troll, but I was bored and waiting for a 4-hour rarespawn, so I engaged him. One person who had been in the conversation at the start gave up after half an hour, a historian joined partway through but rapidly gave up.

Just before the end I think I was kind of looking like an idiot (awake far too long, stumbling over my words, new persons logging on unsure of who was arguing for what) until, after four (!!) hours I got him to actually answer my question: "why are modern gays morally reprehensible and deserve lawful restriction?" (which I must have repeated at LEAST 15 times while he kept giving me singular, contemporary accounts when I offhandedly asked for a source to back up that most cultures have a stigma on homosexuality. For the record, he considered a surface scan of the views of the Romans, Norse, Greeks, Celts (all four post-Christianization from what I could tell), Jewish Canaanites, and Aztecs, as a "cross-section" of the world's cultures).
    PS: Does someone have such a global-scale source? It'd be interesting, especially if it was broken down well.

As soon as he started listing off his reasons, the whole of chat seemed to jump on him: at least one person who had been quietly listening in to nearly the entire conversation, plus a couple others, and even the one person who seemed to be okay with him. Triumph! He finally logged off when he said that all gays want to be like 14-year old girls and that modern homosexuality is nothing but a rejection of masculinity; the whole of us simply started laughing at the whole thing, that it had gone four friggin' hours of what, for a brief glimmering moment, looked like it might have a conclusion worthy of the lengthy anticipation, only to end in the most hilariously naive, anticlimactic fashion. It was glorious, far better than I could have hoped for, because it failed to have the bitter, frustrating end that was expected.

Now, sleep, for I was to be in bed like 2-3 hours ago.
    Last edited by lsfreak; 2012-09-14 at 05:48 AM.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.