Quote Originally Posted by silverwolfer View Post
I litterly havent even cracked a book open , So I can't ask specific questions. A Local DM is offering to run a 4e game, but sort of make your characters at home using stat buy, and well I have no books so ...lol.
Then I might suggest checking out the Wizards website. In particular, the "Quickstart" rules (quoted because it's 27 pages . . . not very quick). You'll be able to make comparisons to whatever edition you're familiar with, see how some of the new features work, and even see some example 1st level characters.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/QuickStartRules.pdf

Give it a shot; it's a fun system.

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
Out-of-combat magic has been weakened. Knock, for example, now has a ten minute casting time. While it is usable if necessary, it's much preferable to use skills to pick a lock.
I disagree. Yes, most non-combat magic now has cast times measured in minutes and not seconds, but I don't really see this as being weakened. Out-of-combat scenarios tend to treat time arbitrarily, and the situations where you need to be able to [insert ritual effect] in less than 10 minutes are probably only made so because your GM is trying to coerce a specific solution.

Well, either that or the players have put themselves someplace stupidly dangerous and need fast solutions. Your mileage may vary.

The place I do think non-combat magic is worse for wear is that it's effectively both optional and expensive. That is, when you build a character and gain levels, you get new combat powers and/or feats each level. New rituals have to be bought or found. The buying is a particular problem that came up in my games. There is a specific cost associated with any given ritual, so buying the reagents to cast a ritual can eat into the party's cash, which does not incentivize their use. Many groups simply choose to place that burden on the caster himself, and it's a difficult choice between new/better magic items or more rituals and ritual reagents.

Still, I don't think they're bad. I just think people look at the casting time and assume they'll never have time to use the ritual.