Let me make a list for choosing characters:

Do you want:

Dakka?

1. Salvador - MOOOOOOAAAAAR DAAAAAKKAAAAAA
  2. Axton - DAKKA TURRET
  3. Gaige - DAKKA ROBOT
  4. Maya - Dakka ball of explosive dakka doom!
  5. Zer0 - Little to no dakka.

Flashy Elements?

1. Maya - Maliwan guns are already sexy. She just makes them even more effective.
  2. Salvador - MOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAR DAAAAAAAAKKKAAAAAAAA
  3. Zer0 - Stealthily using your elemental guns to zap an enemy is very satisfying.
  4. Axton - He doesn't really take advantage of elements beyond kabooms and such. I mean, explosions are fun, but fire bullets! C'mon!
  5. Gaige - I don't even know what she does yet.

Lots of bullets?

1. Salvador and Jakobs/Vladof - Vladof guns only shoot faster as you fire. Jakobs fire faster as you mash the fire button. Gunzerk both, and it's quite chaotic.
  2. Axton with double turrets - Dude, double turrets. No more needs to be said.
  3. Gaige - Deathtrap must be able to do something gun-related.
  4. Zer0 and Maya - They can shoot things, but bullet output isn't their specialty.

Flashy Skills?

1. Maya - Phaselock is quite the attention getter. It's a big, glowing orb of "haha, you can't move". Upgrades make it explode with fire and heal people!
  2. Gaige - It's called the Deathtrap.
  3. Axton - You know you want to quote the Engineer when you drop his turret.
  4. Salvador - While awesome to the player, it just doesn't stand out among Phaselocks and rocket sentries.
  5. Decepti0n - Spawn a Halo: Reach style hologram to distract foes and cloak for a few seconds to deal big damage safely. The fact that it's not flashy is the purpose.

Funny Characters?

1. Salvador - He's vocal, he's in a roid-rage, he cracks a lot of morbid(-ly hilarious) jokes, and one of his skills is "Sexual Tyrannosaurus".
  2. Zer0 - He may not appear to be... Anything, but he's certainly got a lot of fun haikus to drop when using Decepti0n.
  3. Axton - As far as I'm concerned, he talks more than Maya.
  4. Maya - She's rather uninteresting, with bland skill names and more stubborn-than-funny taunts.
  5. Gaige - This I can't even throw out a guess for.