Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
Oh dear. I hope the property does not go the way of The Cherry Orchard or some decayed Strindbergian estate. I suppose it would be too much to ask to institute a self-interested medieval policy of firstborn male inheritance ad perpetuam.
Yeah, that would be me. Sadly, I don't think granny is going to allow that. Nor Swedish inheritence rules, for that matter, but don't take my word on that. I'll just have to go the way of the capitalist (bleh): get rich and buy it all. A flawless plan, isn't it!?

Cherries and currants and gooseberries! Yet more delightful. Are they big sweet cherries or something like Nanking cherries? I wonder how you might encourage them to fruit more...
The small, hard and green kind. I've never in my life seen a ripe cherry on those trees.

& You might be surprised about grapes -- for curiosity's sake, I had a look at the hardiness zones of Europe. Only a tiny area of Sweden gets down to Hardiness Zone 3, which is what my city falls under, and I grow grapes in my backyard. They aren't plump table grapes, rather smaller slightly sour grapes suitable for wine-making or preserves. On the other hand, think of what you could do in Zones 5, 6, or 7!
Let me guess, a leeward spot by the south wall? It may work with terraces, but since the field lies on a west-slope, that's not quite feasible...

Also...
*looks at map*
Zone 4 it is.

I wonder if you could build some kind of French ditch into lower ground to keep your currant patch dry
I think you misunderstood me, the reason to why it's flooded is because the surface level of the lake rises above the plants. I'd have to drain the entire lake. Also, the farm lies on a ness ("näs" in Swedish. The name of the farm is "Näset", which literally translates to "The Ness"), finding lower ground can be a bit tricky.