Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
Barely one page in twenty four hours? Okay, who's been eating ponythreaders?
Skags and Bullymongs. Uh, I'm pre-occupied with Borderlands 2 at the moment, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
I think it's misleading to say that the Fallout games don't take themselves seriously. They do parody several things, such as using a proxy for Coca-Cola bottlecaps as their currency, referencing all the old Cold War black and white films, using old green-text computes, and having several horribly disfigured people do their comic relief. But the world of Fallout is a world where people laugh, so that they don't cry. Because if you actually take the time to look at what is, and compare it to what was, the loss is staggering. If you have a chance, go pick up Fallout 3. Turn off the radio so there's no jaunty music. Put away all the happy vault-tec figures and 1950s clothing and naming. Then, walk around, look at the towns, at the vaults, at the world. It's not pretty.

I haven't read Fallout: Equestria. But, if as Thanqol says, it managed to capture that feeling of Fallout and somehow make it work with ponies, of all things, that is really impressive.
I'm never really sure how seriously we are supposed to take the devestation. I think it's the brown-ness that does it for me.
Have you seen pictures of chernobyl? It's like a wildlife reserve now. We are expected to believe that Life must now subsist on a long-dead-grass based eco-system, with Humanity surviving by eating hundred year old instant mashed potato. I enjoy the whole thing, but even the serious bits seem a little hilarious, you know? I'm just not sure how intentionally.

Though it does leave a hilarious mental image of the state of the world. Which is to say, the wastelanders and so on all convinced that the world is reduced to an arid, blasted nuclear desert. But all it actually is, is that the games are set in an actual desert that just happens to be nuclear.

And presumably if you travelled a few weeks in one direction you'd not only see a tree, or some green grass, but a mad, lush, bountifull (nuclear) wilderness like washington dc in Logan's Run or the scenery in Enslaved: Oddesy to the West

Can't say I'm likely to read Fallout Equestria, even with such a glowing endorsement. Still, I'd probably enjoy it if I did, and I'm sure the same can't be said of the increasingly infamous spinoffs, tie-ins and me-too side stories.