1. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Do We Know What Kind of Creature Malack Is?

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    Well, since we're making things up. Yuan-ti are known for being very vain and prideful. Any real Yuan-ti wouldn't refer to themselves as anything but a Yuan-ti. It's about language after all and since we've not seen a Yuan-ti we can assume they're no different than their D&D counter-part since Forgotten Realms also backs up this claim. Yuan-ti would never allow themselves to be grouped up with the lesser scaled races who were made to serve them or worship non-scaled Gods like Marduk either.
    Also a possibility! I've never tried to say "Things are this way"; I'm just listing possibilities. That's another one. Well done!

Nope. Killian made the statement that "But language is flexible, so hey, it can mean whatever you want." And you said that was your point exactly. I quoted both comments because I'm just that nice a guy.
    Ah, I see. You quoted a portion of Killian's statement — not, as it happens, the portion I was agreeing with.

I'm not. The Yuan-ti don't call themselves Scaly Kind. Neither do any of the other races you listed. That's a classification that was created by other races for the Scaled Races. It's not an internal bit of langugage but an external one. Hey, it's all about language.
    Well, in the Forgotten Realms they were all uplifted by a single progenitor race, so they are in fact all connected. But that's beside the point — we're talking about what's possible in language, not what is.

No...I'm not sure if you're misunderstanding on purpose because I directly quoted the comment that statement was referring to but I will clarify. You said that the science was less advanced in the "D&D" world and I said that I doubt you have any real ability to back up that claim. Considering that there is no one "D&D" world.
    What you quoted contained two assertions — I wasn't sure which one you were referring to, since they both seem pretty obvious to me.

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks aside, published D&D worlds in general, and the OotS in particular, tend to fall in a medieval-to-renaissance tech level. There might be exceptions, but this seems like a weird nit to pick.

Though I want to address your continued use of the "Tomato is a fruit or a vegetable" thing. Tomato's are botanically a fruit. The are the ovaries, together with its seeds, of a flowering plant. However, Culinary wise they are classified as a Vegetable. So both statements are correct. Hey man, it's just language.
    Exactly! That's pretty much exactly what I was saying. Science classifies them one way, but in usage they're classified another way. In the same way, the rules classify yuan-ti one way, but common usage is free to classify them another way. Thank you!
    Last edited by jere7my; 2012-09-23 at 06:44 PM.