1. - Top - End - #1252
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5th Editon Discussion: 6th thread and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    But the point is that Dire Rats in Next are NOT small 25 kg creatures. They are about the size of Mabari Dogs of Dragon Age.
    If we would talk about rats how they are portrayed in many video games, like in Oblivion or Morrowind, I would totally agree.
    And yet they're still smaller than the largest extant real world rodent, the capybara. I could make another comparison and say that the giant rats are about the size of a goat - which implies something completely different about their combat ability.

Comparing them, based solely on weight, to a dog specifically bred and trained for combat (or to a goat) is a poor comparison because it implies something grossly misleading about the rats' build and the threat they pose. They might both be 50 lbs. but giant rats have the skeletal and muscular build of rats, not war dogs (or goats). It's a rather large difference:

vs.

The giant rat is certainly "icky" but it doesn't have the body shape to be a dangerous combatant like the war dog. Any disease possibly carried by the rat could be extremely deadly, but that's an entirely different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    On an unrelated note: Mike Mearls sums up the feedback from the latest playtest.

I can't say that I'm to happy about the peoples apparent reaction, though, especially concerning the Sorcerer, which was, so far, my favorite class design in Next (note that the Dragon Sorcerer in specific was to strong in comparison with the other classes, but thats a problem of the execution, not the idea).
    I'll admit that I'm amused to read that "players consistently feel that their characters don’t have enough hit points" and WotC's reaction is basically say "too bad...though I guess we can give the wizard a bump." LOL
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2012-09-24 at 06:56 AM.