1. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    So I just tried out the demo for the new xcom game.

I am on the fence. On one hand, it looks like Xcom.

On the other hand, it does not PLAY like XCOM. Sure, the prescripted tutorial mission had 3/4 of your squad die, but once I was in control for the next mission and not being ****ing retarded like the tutorial is, the aliens ever only got two shots off. One of thos missed, the other destroyed a piece of cover without doing anything to my guy behind it. Kind of a joke really. Also, the consolitis, while not game-breakingly bad like it is in some games, is clearly in effect. The simple fact is that I didn't get to experiance enough GAMEPLAY (despite this being the demo) to even know how the finished product will play. How do the interception missions work? I have no idea, demo didn't cover it. What about letting me play with the base management somewhat, to see if that is still fun? nope. not covered at all*. So far I am not impressed, and will require watching totalbiscuit or somebody play some first before I decide if I want to spend money on it or not.

*technically included, but everything was prescripted demo bull**** with all your options already chosen for you and you can't even physically do anything else.
    There is an hour long video of gameplay on youtube. I have yet to see much of base building, but they did mention that certain rooms get bonuses depending on what is near (research labs get bonuses for being near each other). As to your complain of how easy the game is, I understand that the nightmare difficulty with Ironman challenge is only to be played by the extreme foolhardy, and even in classic (i.e. hard) without ironman you can still find yourself with an unwinnable game if you are not careful (whether due to the aliens ramping up their tech faster than you your own, or through excessive attrition, they didn't explain).

There is, however, only one main base. Radar stations are substituted for geostationary satellites. The interceptor looks very old-school, with you sending it out, and it shooting and getting shot at by the UFO. After which you can go after the downed UFO if so desired.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-09-26 at 10:13 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est