Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
First, what's even up with beer? I don't get how people think it tastes good. Or is it just cheap? (I'm in the US, on Long Island right now.)
Anyway, is it a bad idea to take one beer in a social situation, and just sip it, so as to not seem like the odd man out? I don't exactly know how to handle social situations in which alcohol appears and want to know for next time.
At first, beer in general doesn't taste all that great. After a while you get past the initial different-ness of beer and begin to get into a stage where you can compare them objectively to one another. From here it's sort of a personal exploration to find a brand(s) you like. Try out what interests you and be open to recommendations from others on what to try if you haven't had them already. Over the years you develop a bit of a palette of your own. Everyone is different and there is no universally accepted best beer.

Alcohol at social functions is usually there to relax people and get them talking to one another more. It's often a social lubricant. Nursing a beer is fine. Not choosing to drink at all is also fine. Some do not like beer. And others find alcohol they like more than beer. I think beer is often chosen for a beverage of adult social situations because it appeals to the widest number of people. Whether or not those people will like your taste in beer is another matter.

Which brings me to...

Obvious Beer Etiquette

If you drink and are offered a beer in a social situations it's okay to:
• Inquire about what kinds are available and choose one
• Pass on beer and ask what non-alcoholic drinks are available
• Bring your own to share with the group
• Compliment the host on their beer choice, if you enjoy it

Avoid:
• Inquiring about what kinds are available and then pass on drinking the beer. The reason for this, obviously, is that this may be interpreted as a put down of the host's taste in beer - you might have had a beer... just not that beer.
• Passing on beer and declaring that one shouldn't drink. Again, this is to avoid this looking like a put down to your host. If you don't drink, fine. That's your choice. But remember: If you're going to preach tee-totaling to drunk people, you're going to have a bad time. If others give you a hard time for passing on alcohol, deflect comments in an unconcerned manner and the moment will likely pass quickly if you are in pleasant company. Thanking the host for offering is always seen as considerate, drinking or no drinking. Even if you are against drinking the host was trying to share something of theirs with you, after all.
• Bringing your own and not offering to share. Not that you have to supply enough for the uh "whole class" or what have you, but being free with what you have is usually something others appreciate.
• Insulting the host's choice of beer, if you didn't enjoy it. Switching labels because you are curious to sample another available label is often a nice universally acceptable reason to switch. Beer drinkers usually understand the need to browse.