Found the thread I was talking about in my last post: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136474

Also, earlier in this thread, I saw someone suggest (perhaps jokingly, I can't remember) that a necromancer should only be able to cast Animate Dead. In the words of Jon Stewart, you're exactly #$@!ing right.

Rant, ignore at your leisure:
Spoiler
Show
A level 1 fighter has a sword that deals 1d8 damage. A level 20 fighter has a sword that deals 1d8+5 damage, and maybe cuts off someone's head 10% of the time. Compared to the ability to send everyone in a cone-shaped burst to another plane, that's a pretty pathetic power boost. Or summon a hailstorm 10 times a day. Now consider: those are both spells from one of the weakest schools of magic, and no spellcaster is confined to a single school of magic.

If you want to bring wizards down to the same level as fighter, they should be one-trick ponies who cannot contribute outside their specially-designed field.

Even when a fighter can use different weapons (i.e. didn't take their own specialized class abilities: weapon focus, etc), wizards can use wands.

The reason I chose the examples I did in my last post was because I looked at monsters of that CR and said "who could beat these creatures 50% of the time in a 1-on-1 fight?"