1. - Top - End - #626
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

Angels Take Manhattan
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm skipping over any and all comments to the denigration of the emotinos of Amy and Rory's departure, because I don't think I can properly express a response to them without running into the board filters. Suffice to say I teared up around the time Rory said he was scared and remained so to pretty much the end, and if you imply by any means that the sequence did not deserve the emotions I spent on it... imagine an angry Eleven. Say something from AGMGTW. I feel something like that in response, but with more swearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    The fact that River doesn't seem to be going to the Library any time soon is starting to drive me crazy. Her story is over, it's time to let her go Moffat. I don't care how much you obsessively love your DMPC, it's time for her to have an actual conclusion
    Her story is quite manifestly not over. She's a significant part of the Doctor's life at this point and that can't all be just left to "Oh, they did stuff offscreen between episodes." Not to mention her story doesn't all happen in the right order - her actual conclusion came in her first appearance, we've since seen the beginning and some of the middle of her story, but it can potentially have a massive amount of middle to it, and dot about in terms of the precise sequence of events. That she's out of prison and a professor now is in fact a step toward the ending, but she might be neither of those the next time we see her. You may not like it, but I on the other hand, while I have a few issues with aspects of River's character, have great respect for the fact that Moffat didn't just blister through River's story in a few short episodes, when he'd built it up to be that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
    The Doctor can cure people using regeneration powers now? Since when?
    Yeah, that bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by Soepvork View Post
    River Melody did the same to cure him, so why not :)
    But she was within the first 15 hours of a regeneration cycle at the time, and hence the energy was already on tap, as it were. Granted, there is precedent from the Classic series of Time Lords being able to regenerate at will, rather than having to wait until they're actually dying, but I don't like the idea of the energies being so finely controllable that the Doctor can just randomly siphon off a little to heal a broken wrist without actually inducing a full regeneration.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    (I dare you people to find other self-less acts)
    Challenge accepted. I'll get back to you.

Why write that damned book? Whenever the book is read, the point becomes fixed. If the book had not been written the doctor would not have read it when Rory was getting the coffee and the angel would not have taken him. So much could have been avoided if the book had not been written.
    Except that it had already been written, and River knew it had already been written, because they'd read it. Besides which, why would not writing the book prevent the angel from taking Rory? All it would change is the Doctor and Amy wouldn't know about it.

If the past cannot change in this story, how come the Doctor was able to mess around with Kazran so much in Christmas Carol. Or both times River jumped into the TARDIS. Same thing no.
    Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    (Though anyone notice Amy's 5 years older than Rory? I guess she got sent back a bit further)
    Or, as was pointed out to me when I raised that point, she might just have lived longer. Great as Amy and Rory's love was, it wouldn't cause them to automatically die at exactly the same moment, or even in the same year as each other.

(in the same fashion, 5:02 Secret Agent Pond is also not real Amy, but Series 5 and Series 6 Amy are the same person).
    Why not? 5:02 Amy had all the same memories as regular Amy (Well, more or less). She was the same person in a different universe. And she may even have retained those memories subsequent to time resolving itself.

Also, this episode condoned double suicide. Discuss.
    Fallacy - they knew they wouldn't actually die.
    Also, they were saving others. c.f. Jack in Parting of Ways - He could have run away, but chose to stay there and be killed by the Daleks, to save others. He wasn't the vehicale of his own death, but he still chose to let it happen.
    Or, even better, c.f. Father's Day. I feel the comparison speaks for itself. There is considerable precedent in Who of people (Not least the Doctor himself) laying down their lives for a good cause.

Overall, my personal summation of the episode shortly after seeing it was "Blink with added emotions." And I stand by it.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2012-09-30 at 10:29 AM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."