1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default I'm sending my players to a demiplane of madness inspired by Xoriat. Tips?

I can't send them to the real Xoriat for plot and balance reasons (for example, I'd like to have gravity). So instead they're forcibly transported onto a demiplane that has been built to resemble the Plane of Madness as much as possible.

I don't want it to just be constantly fighting aberrations. I want to trick them, fool them, make them question their senses and even their thoughts while keeping it combat-minimal. But I'm finding it difficult to come up with creative ways of doing so.

Right now I have them wake up on an island in an ocean of acid, guided by a mysterious voice (the BBEG) through a bunch of challenges until they meet him. (Partially inspired by the Ayreon album Into the Electric Castle if any of you are familiar with that.) But I have almost no ideas for the actual challenges. They shouldn't be overly lethal and should require creative thinking to solve.

The group is level 9; 3 or 4 PCs accompanied by 2 NPCs of equal level for plot reasons. I'm also thinking about bringing along two low-level NPCs to serve as cannon fodder. We're in Pathfinder if that matters.
    Last edited by genderlich; 2012-10-06 at 02:51 PM.
    Previous avatar by Sgt. Pepper.

Previous avatar by Akrim.elf.

Current avatar by Cdr.Fallout

Old Desert Sayings, my RPG blog (mostly Pathfinder homebrew).

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Responding to stress with rudeness is not the same as responding to stress with genocide.