View Single Post

Thread: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

1. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Oh no, you misunderstand. There are not ending plot holes that are resolved. That was intentional use of cliffhangers in the ending. The entire story was written. And before production they moved some of the meat into DLC, leaving just enough to (they thought) make a good endin, and have the DlC make it better, make the world richer.

Whether an oversight, or whether they fully intended to charge you an extra ten dollars for closure, depends on how cynical you are.
    If I were being cynical, I'd have assumed that your description above was the case earlier. I've been giving them credit for actually knowing that the ending has serious problems as a story in general and as an ending to this story in particular - your explanation there does not. Whatever the motivations one assumed, my conclusion if your explanation were true would be that Leviathan were more evidence of how major the writing failure around the ending is - particularly since nothing that Leviathan expounded upon could accurately be called a "cliffhanger." The parts of the (original) ending that would fit that description would be the questions of what happens to galactic civilization at large, and your team in particular, after the events shown, which Leviathan doesn't (and couldn't, given what it covers) touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    BioWare has made Baulder's Gate, and then Dragon Age. KoTOR and then Mass Effect.
    Which has what to do with any of this? Those are separate game series.

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    However, with that said, a direct sequel to the current games is impossible, seeing as how much effort that it'd take would be astronomical. That, and two of the endings are pretty final, and letting players who took one of the other two would be like shooting the former players in their collective feet.
    A direct sequel has never been intended - Shepard's story is over, remember? Any further games will be entirely new stories, simply using the same setting.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-10-08 at 06:55 AM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis