I have been interested in martial arts for over 25 years now. Trained in grappling and in striking arts.

The past 10 years I have been studying heavily in Tae Kwon Do (Traditional Korean Combat)

My advice to you would be to find what schools are in you area and try out classes in each. Good schools will let you try a class or two for free. Be upfront with the instructor/owner of what you are doing.

If he/she seems upset or agitated by the idea of you checking out his school then you do not want to train under them.

If they ask you to sign a contract and if they guarantee you a certain belt level by the end of the contract WALK AWAY. These are usually black belt farms and will be happy to take your money.

Find the art that best fits for you, what you like to do. It is not the martial art bu the martial artist that is important.

Bruce Lee said something along the lines of "I do not fear the man who practices a thousand kicks once, but the man you practices one kick a thousand times."

This mean if you really love something you will practice even one simple thing of the art over and over till you master it. If you do not like what you are doing you will not put in the time.

Just a heads up I read on this thread that X marital art is only good for Y. That really needs to be changed to X martial art thought at Y school is only good for Z.

Just because the sign on the door says Karate the next school you see with the same sign can and will be totally different.