1. - Top - End - #645
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitp 27: Of Shoes, and Ships, and Sealing Wax

Okay, I'm actually back now!

So here's how things went yesterday, for those of you who are interested:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The drive up went pretty well. We steered the conversation away from what was going to happen, so we didn't get that awkward pre-meeting stuff (I'm not sure what that would be like, but I'm sure it exists ). We did talk about politics, because that's one of my mom's favorite topics, and it's relevent in the States, with our election coming up.

We got to Boulder much earlier than we needed to, so I directed us to a little local coffee shop that I like.

Then, the actual meeting. At first, it looked like I was going to mess up. I was so scared and nervous. It took probably five minutes of me staring at the letter I had written, looking like an idiot, before I realized that that wasn't how I wanted to remember that moment, and that I wanted to say it myself. I blocked out as much as I could of my surroundings, and barreled through my letter (slowlyy enough to be understood, of course).

At first, at least with my mom, it looked like it was going to be a disaster. She kept saying that she could handle gay, but not this. My therapist really helped out, though, and I was able to get my brain back in gear and give some explainations.

My mom was really quiet during the car ride home, but by the end, she had calmed down, and explained that what she was most worried about was my job, and my being safe in a world that is, frankly, still a very scary place.

She still doesn't quite understand everything (when she asked about why I had been down on Sunday, and I explained it was about all the people I interact with not seeing me the way I want to be seen, she asked, "Why does that matter?"), but she at least seems like she's accepted it. She was happy last night, at least .

We'll see how it goes, but I have hope!

Also, I got to leave my door open for the first time in a while last night, so I got a visit from the black kitty fairy! He hogs the bed something fierce, but I don't really mind.

~Phoenix~
    Last edited by Absol197; 2012-10-11 at 05:59 AM.
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!