1. - Top - End - #338
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: XCOM: One Does Not Simply "Shoot" a Cryssalid...

De-rail: I'm playing the original XCOM while waiting for a new computer to arrive (hopefully this weekend).

XCOM: UFO Defense (to distinguish it) is a funny game. I'm trying not to spoil it (either game really) too much with wiki stuff but I don't see why it's so difficult for recruits to use heavy weapons and things like that. Time unit used by weapons scale up as character TUs go up, so the only advantage to having more TUs is moving faster? Maybe? And moving and shooting in the same turns is a problem. But then there are some strategies just to take advantage of game quirks, like this: Rear Commander. The way that recruits can use heavy weapons is by having a commander throw the weapons down. I would've never thought of that.

I'm playing on beginner and still have at least one death every mission at the start. I've accidentally killed one of my own soldiers too. Reapers at night were terrifying! This game may have given me bearfear. Then everything got a little easier when I figured out how to get the tanks; they're great for scouting. Also laser rifles. Everyone has a laser rifle now and suddenly they're not so inaccurate as stormtroopers.

Somehow XCOM: UFO Defense is better than UFO: Alien Invasion. I can't quite put my finger on it. I look forward to playing the new game.
    Last edited by nooblade; 2012-10-11 at 10:41 AM.